General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check engine light: undocumented code

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Default Check engine light: undocumented code

My check engine light just came on. My mechanic checked it out and said the computer was giving him (according to the manual) "undocumented code". The car could be running fine, then it'll stall. I had the light on for about 2 weeks now and the car has stalled 5 times. It can be during an idle at a light after running for a half hour, it can be right at start up. After a stall/restart, it runs just fine.

My mechanic said it could be an oxygen sensor but until the computer gives him a real code, it's just guesswork that may or may not solve the problem but cost me money. I appreciate his honesty and willingness to make sure he pinpoints the problem exactly. However, I'm supposed to go on vacation soon with about 8 hours of driving roundtrip. I don't want to get snagged on my vacation with this problem.

Any ideas?

One more thing: it's a 98 Accord EX 4 door - 4 cylinder

Old 06-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Check engine light: undocumented code

I have an idea for your vacation - how about a rental car? [&:]

That is very honorable of your mechanic not to lie to you but - please ask the exact code - note that some old scanners will not have the up to date information while we have our database updated every 3 months - so get to Autozone or your mechanic and read the exact Code # and please post it here, untill then - you're on your own

Old 06-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Administrator

I agree with Evlampius about going to AutoZone and getting them to run a OB II scanner at no cost to you.
My educated guess is a Idle Air control valve and map sensor, Hope I'm correct, if so let me know..

WheelbrokerAng

Old 06-23-2005, 05:18 PM

Well, the car stalled 3 more times and I had my mech check it out again. This time he got a more specific code...he didn't write the actual code number down though. He said it first gave him, "heater on oxygen sensor 2". He replaced the sensor and then the computer came up with "heater on oxygen sensor 1". He replaced both and was still getting the same code.

At this point, he thinks its the computer failing. He said there isn't much more he can do since it would start to cost him money that he couldn't justify charging me (because he didn't fix anything).