General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cherry picking parts to sell?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Default cherry picking parts to sell?

Hey all,

I have a 1996 Accord that needs a new engine. This I find out after my mechanic took >$900 from me to replace a blown head gasket. Great.

It's got quite a few defects aside from what had now been diagnosed as "probably a cracked block". The paint job is heavily disintegrated (but no rust or dents). There's a hideous after market moon roof (not my fault!) that doesn't work, but doesn't leak. And the front passenger window regular is bust (window currently stuck shut). But the poor thing only has ~150k miles on it, it had so much to live for!!!! And pretty much everything else on the car is in good running condition (transmission, aircon, computer, tires, etc).

I've purchased a different car, and I'm trying to decide what to do about unloading the Accord. I can get $400 from the used car lot dealer next to my mechanic. But I was thinking of maybe cherry picking some of the easier to reach but more expensive parts from the car and selling them on ebay, then selling the car to the junk yard for ~$300-375. The car won't start, so regardless the junkyard would have to come tow it away. And I think this ultimately could net me more than $400.

So, does anyone have suggestions for what parts would be good to take/sell out of the car? I just replaced the vehicle speed sensor for ~$100, and that's an easy part to pull. Maybe the battery? It's a ~3 years old, but still good. I'm looking for things that have a high selling cost to labor ratio. Your suggestions will be much appreciated!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

parting out always nets more than selling complete. i'd run an ad on craigslist "parting out" and see who needs what and what they are willing to pay for the parts. example, that computer is worth about 100 bucks, the tires with steel rims about 150, alloys about 250, trannys probably worth 350-400, compressor 75 bucks. probably have a good 1500-2000 bucks in parts...if you are willing to put up with the b.s. negotiating and the labor to remove the parts.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Alternatively, list the car complete on Craig's List using the description you provided in your post. Would some backyard mechanic pay $700 for it as is and dump a $300 used engine in it? My guess is yes, especially if the mileage can be certified.