General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chewing Through Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Default Chewing Through Brake Pads

My wife has a 2006 Honda Accord. I have had to change the brake pads on it twice in one year. I always use ceramic pads, so I don't think it's a cheap pad issue. It seems to burn through the inner pad. The outer pad seems like it is warn a little faster than it should, but not as bad as the inner. The inner will literally wear down to metal in about 4 - 6 months.

The caliper feels like it floats on the pins pretty easily. I thought of lubricating the pins, but can't seem to get the boots off and I don't want to tear them.

I'm wondering if this is a bad caliper, a lubrication issue, possibly the brakes are staying slightly engaged.... Any suggestions as to what I can try?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Is this the front or rear brakes?

To pull out the slide pin after the flange bolt is removed: hold the head of the slide pin with your fingers, then with your fingers, gently slide the rubber boot off the ridge of the slide pin. To reinstall, slide the boot back over the ridge.

Check the condition of the slide pin, if it is really corroded, I usually replace them. Clean and re-grease with silicone brake grease if re-using the pins..

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-01-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 AM

Thanks, it's the front pads.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a micrometer you could check the rotor thickness. Otherwise, just inspect the slide pins and re-grease and see if it makes a difference. Replace the slide pins if they look pitted.

The reason I asked if it was front or rear, was because if they were rear disc, then the cut-outs/grooves in the piston should be aligned with the tab on the pads during installation.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Are these OEM pads or an off brand. suggest you use Honda pads for they should last 80,000+ miles. I have in the past used off brand pads to save a little $ and found they didn't last very long. Of course, all this assumes your wife doesn't ride the brake, which she probably doesn't.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Caliper slide pins don't perfectly explain it. Usually(?) when the slide pins bind up, it's the outboard pad that wears quickly.

The brake has plenty of force to apply when you step on the brake pedal. Then when you RELEASE the brake pedal the piston releases but the sticky slide-pins cause the outboard pad to drag.

Not handbrake, because that's on the rear brakes.