General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Front Disc Brake through Bleed screw?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replace Front Disc Brake through Bleed screw?

Hi, I am watching replacing front disc brake video on youtube and saw the guy is replacing front disc brake with unscrewing the bleed screw and let the brake fluid out through bleed screw (when pushing piston back) instead of opening master brake reservoir lid like other videos suggested. I am wondering which way I should go if I decide to replace front disc brakes for my 2005 Honda Accord Coupe and 2007 CRV? is there any reason you don't want brake fluid flow back to master cylinder? Thx.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

If the brake master cylinder reservoir was not overfilled to begin with (for example, no additional brake fluid added to the reservoir when the pads were wearing down), it is unnecessary to unscrew the bleeder to let brake fluid come out or remove brake fluid from the reservoir, when compressing the piston.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thx for the response. I remember reading from somewhere that someone mentioned that if your car is equipped with ABS system, you cannot let brake fluid flow back and you have to let the fluid out from bleeder instead, is this true that brake fluid will harm ABS system without letting it out from bleeder?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I never had a problem with ABS equipped Hondas. The service manual doesn't include such a step during brake pad replacement (you only have to remove some fluid from the reservoir if it was too full; i.e., overfilled).

This link has info. on front pad replacement.
Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Breakpads change

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-10-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The arguments I have heard are simply based on the desire not to push dirty fluid back into the hydraulic system ... since the system isn't designed for fluid to travel backwards through it, potentially dirt could get lodged in the wrong places. I would guess the chance of harming your system is extremely small.

However if you plan to bleed your brakes anyway it may not hurt to hook up the bleeder tube and let the fluid out in that direction for the piston pushback ... it certainly can't hurt -- it just might take a little more time.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thx. I was watching EricTheCarGuy's youtube video about doing car maintenance. He was talking about empty brake fluid main reservoir instead of actual bleeding it, then add new brake fluid to reservoir and top it off. Is this normal practice at the mechanic shop/dealer if you send your car to them for regular maintenance?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I would guess it's more common to do it that way simply because it's easier to do. I did it this way when did my first set of brakes a couple years ago ... and then I followed it with a bleeding. Again I think it's just personal preference, how much a mechanic cares about keep the system clean, and the extra time that's involved.

If you watch enough videos you will also see power steering fluid changes, ATF changes, and even engine oil changes, done in different ways.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Good thread men..with good information for our members..
Thank You all!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by wenmang
I remember reading from somewhere that someone mentioned that if your car is equipped with ABS system, you cannot let brake fluid flow back and you have to let the fluid out from bleeder instead, is this true that brake fluid will harm ABS system without letting it out from bleeder?
Yes, I have heard of some cars with special active suspension or braking systems that must be deactivated before you can bleed the brakes. Mercedes SBC (Sensotronic Brake Control) is one of these.

Honda's ABS brake system has its own reservoir, but when I bled the brakes on our Honda I did not touch it, there was nothing to deactivate prior to bleeding. According to the manual, bleeding brakes is done the normal way whether or not you have ABS. But bleeding the ABS reservoir is a separate procedure.

I have not replaced pads yet, but according to the manual when you replace the pads you push in the piston and nothing else -- it doesn't even mention taking the cap off the master reservoir and/or removing any fluid.

Last edited by jkowtko; 11-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.