General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cigarette lighter problems! Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
junbei
Unregistered
Default Cigarette lighter problems! Need help please!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board - just wanted to get some help with something that happened today

I have a 92' accord EX 4dr in excellent condition. I never had a problem with the cig socket before but today, when I plugged my cd player adapter, it suddenly stopped working. Here's the thing, I've been using this portable CD player for a year with no problems because my decks have been stolen repeatedly. Anyways, I had to unplug the adapter to let my sister borrow it and when I got it back, it broke. I think there was some aluminum foil on it (don't ask me how it got there, it just did). It works when the car's engine is turned on, but when somethings plugged in the socket, the defroster blinks and doesn't work and I get the 'door ajar' sound. My interior light doesn't work anymore and my upper signal lights don't work (parking lights work still). Also, when I turn off my car and try to close my windows, It won't work. I think it's because it says my trunk is still opened but when the engine is running, the car says the drunk is closed.

Soo here's the break down:
Key in the ignition for electric - Cigarette socket does not work
Key turned once more - Cigarette socket does not work, whenever I push something in, the car says the trunk is open. Everything else seems to work
Engine running while something plugged in socket - defroster blinks or does not turn on, door ajar sound goes off
Engine w/o anything plugged in - everything seems to work

There might be some more stuff I probably overlooked but that's just what happened today. I think it might be the fuse that was blown or something but it's affected a bunch of the things I stated above. Any ideas about what's going on and what I should do? I'm not very handy with electronics but I can probably get some help or should I just bring it to the dealer? Thanks in advance

Old 04-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Default RE: Cigarette lighter problems! Need help please!

Have you tried plugging anything else into the lighter plug? Cell Phone charger?

It could be somthing in the adapter for the CD player shorting out the electrical in the car, that could be what is making it goofy. There might not be enough blow the fuse, but it could be enough to screw up the electrical.

If you can try plugging something else into the lighter plug and see if you get the same results.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Check all your fuses as well... then visually inspect the cig lighter with a flashlight to make sure it's free from metal debrie that could be shorting it out... (I knew someone with and Oldsmobile and her son put a penny in the cig lighter and the door locks stoped working so it very well could be a short...) Then as was mentioned try it with something besides the CD player plugged in and let us know the results...

Old 04-11-2006, 02:25 PM

(I knew someone with and Oldsmobile and her son put a penny in the cig lighter and the door locks stoped working so it very well could be a short...)
I was thinking that exact same thing, happened to my mom's Lumina. (except is was a dime and the radio wouldn't work right)

Old 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM
junbei
Unregistered

I've tried a bunch of other adapters and they're all the same. I found some aluminum foil specks on the tip of my car adapter and I have no idea how it got there. That's probably the cause of this. Any ideas what I should do? Thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 05:50 PM

did you check all your fuses? if you have an they are ok I would try to remove the cigarette lighter fuse so it's disconnected and test everything. if that works fine then I would replace the cigarette lighter..

Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM
junbei
Unregistered

Okay, I'll try that out today, thanks!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 AM
junbei
Unregistered

I checked my fuse box at my kick panel and under the hood. Nothing was wrong inside the kick panel but there was one blown fuse under the hood labeled "interior light". Replaced it with one of the spares and tested everything. Worked like a charm, everything is back to normal! Thanks everyone

Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 AM

Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Fricken electrical problems suck.... I'm glad to hear you got it working, congrats!