General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Click sound when appying brakes. Only happens when first pressed in Forward/ Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Default Click sound when appying brakes. Only happens when first pressed in Forward/ Reverse

Ive gotten so much help from this forum in the past I dont know why it took so long to ask this. I guess it didnt bother me much, but sure does now. On my 99 Accord I get this click sound from the front brakes. This happens the first time I press them after the car has sat for awhile, or it is easily repeatable if I go from forward to reverse, and vice versa. So to make this happen all I have to do is stop, put it in reverse and roll a bit than press the brakes. But after the first click it stops happening as if something is loose but then engages? But I can then go back to forward and it will click again with the first pedal press, but goes away until its either sat awhile or I go reverse again. Im not sure if the brakes have ever been replaced, or any other service done to them. The car has 41,000 original miles so Id guess they are the original, but not sure. I just bought it about 6 months ago. Im sure someone here will have an idea based on these symptoms, and thanks in advance for the help. You guys are awesome.

Update: I recorded this sound and attached a file. Its a very small mp3 in zip format. The sound happens at the end of the 3 second clip. Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Brake Noise.zip (81.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Custnam; 01-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ABS makes a very distinct buzzing sound when pump comes on to pressurize system. I've never heard a "click" from my 94 EX. Depending on ABS system condition, the buzz will not occur every time car is started. It comes on when pressure in accumulator is low and must be "topped".

Sound is likely a loose brake pad or shim. Have brake pads replaced along w/ new caliper pins and boots.

good luck