General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking Noise. It's constant and annoying...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Clicking Noise. It's constant and annoying...

Vehicle in question is a 1988 Accord LXi, 4 Speed Automatic, 2.0L engine, 4 cylinder...

I got the car last year, October or so, and it's been running great-ish since then. Replaced a headlight and the valve cover gasket and it has some minor oil leaks.

Now, I hear this constant clicking noise coming from the front of the car. When you open the hood, it sounds like it's coming from the right side (as you're facing the car) of the engine.

I took it to a mechanic and he said that it could either be the rack and pinion or the rod in the engine and it was suggested by someone else that it could possibly be a bad wrist pin.

I know it's not good news, considering that I may have to replace my engine or have it rebuilt (that's what the mechanic told me). But I want to make sure that all of this ^ is what is really wrong with it before making any concrete decisions.

I know there's still other possibilities and what not, I just wanted to get suggestions/opinions or whatever. There's a auto salvage place nearby that specializes in hondas that I'm looking into. They have reasonable prices in parts and also do service.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Try to pinpoint the location of the noise. Is the noise coming from any of the pulleys? Under the timing belt? Internally from the engine?

You may need to use a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screw driver. Be very careful, because the driver's side of the engine has moving parts.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Describing a noise in words is hard. A click might be a thump, rattle or "slap" to all.

To PA's point, you need to narrow it down, it could be as simple as the valves need adjusting....