General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

very annoying creaking noise from front end!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Default very annoying creaking noise from front end!

hello fellas, i hope you can help me with my issue i have with my 99 accord es.
first i should tell you that the car is approx 60mm lower on koni ajustable shock and spring and is running 215/35/18 tyre and alloy combo.
the problem i have is a loud creaking (sounds like a old door in a horror film!) coming from the front end when steering is applied. it happens when the engine is on of off.
today i changed the track rod ends, but if anything seems to be worse!
i was wondering if any other member has had similar issues or if there is a commom problem with the car.
also, the steering doesn't correct itself properly. in other words, when ive made a turn , the steering doesn't feed itself back the the straight ahead position, it needs me to straighten it. or i could put half a turn of lock on and drive away and it'll stay in that position.
the trouble is, i can't get underneath the car to investige as i obviously need to turn the steering wheel to get the creaking!!
i did try to remove a wheel with the car jacked up and the use another jack to push the suspention up to as it would be if the car was on the ground, but, annoyingly , it didn't make any noise!!
thanks for reading, hope you can help!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM

does the noise happen at full lock or as you begin to steer? also, does the noise occur when the steering is held at a certain point, or does the wheel have to be turning to make the noise?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Also, get a friend to turn the steering wheel while you listen down at the wheel. Best thing is to pinpoint the location of the sound. Might be upper or lower balljoints?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

You may have to adjust the pivots on the upper control arm. By changing the height, the rest position of the arm on those bushings will change.

Read Tony1M's posts in this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5202

Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The steering wheel returnability has to do with your caster and camber adjustments, I just went through all this in my ASE class for work

Old 10-23-2010, 06:21 AM

well, i changed the track control arms because they looked in bad nick but if anything was worse, si ive done the lower ball joints and its solved the problem.... no more creaking and steering is back to nornal.
thanks for the replys though fellas

Old 07-14-2021, 11:23 PM
Default Any updates?? I could Not have described my same issue better!!

Originally Posted by skoty
hello fellas, i hope you can help me with my issue i have with my 99 accord es.
first i should tell you that the car is approx 60mm lower on koni ajustable shock and spring and is running 215/35/18 tyre and alloy combo.
the problem i have is a loud creaking (sounds like a old door in a horror film!) coming from the front end when steering is applied. it happens when the engine is on of off.
today i changed the track rod ends, but if anything seems to be worse!
i was wondering if any other member has had similar issues or if there is a commom problem with the car.
also, the steering doesn't correct itself properly. in other words, when ive made a turn , the steering doesn't feed itself back the the straight ahead position, it needs me to straighten it. or i could put half a turn of lock on and drive away and it'll stay in that position.
the trouble is, i can't get underneath the car to investige as i obviously need to turn the steering wheel to get the creaking!!
i did try to remove a wheel with the car jacked up and the use another jack to push the suspention up to as it would be if the car was on the ground, but, annoyingly , it didn't make any noise!!
thanks for reading, hope you can help!
, ""the steering doesn't correct itself properly. in other words, when ive made a turn , the steering doesn't feed itself back the the straight ahead position, it needs me to straighten it. or i could put half a turn of lock on and drive away and it'll stay in that position."
And the creaking sound is awful...just bought my car!

Last edited by Just bought 08 Accord V6; 07-15-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Just bought 08 Accord V6
, ""the steering doesn't correct itself properly. in other words, when ive made a turn , the steering doesn't feed itself back the the straight ahead position, it needs me to straighten it. or i could put half a turn of lock on and drive away and it'll stay in that position."
And the creaking sound is awful...just bought my car!
If the car had issues and was poorly maintained, why did you buy it in the first place?