General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM
BlueAccord07
Unregistered
Default Steering wheel clicking noise

My '07 Accord EX has a little over 3k miles on it.On one frosty morning I noticed when I turn the steering wheel counter-clockwise (only) there is a little subtle "clicking" noise - this is without the blinker on. I know there is a different noise when you have the blinker on and turn the steering wheel. It does not sound like a squeal or grinding, just more like a spring being stretched or compressed is the best I can describe it.Oh, and thishappens more in the cold than once the outside temp is warmer, say 60F. I've checked most of the postings. Anyone experience something similar? Am planning to have it looked at the first oil change anyways. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Steering wheel clicking noise

I'm a firm believer that waiting to find a problem is going to kill you in the end. (whether it be physically or your wallet)..

I'd suggest to get the codes read if anything, and at least get a quick diag before i take it around town every day...

you still have a bit to go for your first oil change, so i'd take it to the dealer asap personally.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 PM

it's probably the cable reel. is very cold weather you may hear it unwinding as you turn.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM
BlueAccord07
Unregistered

Thanks! Is this something that is urgent to take in right away?
Would not be good to not have any steering control.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:50 PM

the cable reel is electrical. it's a winding of cable that connects the steering wheel controls(audio, cruise, srs, horn) to the car. there is no fix, a new cable reel will probably may a little noise when it'sVERY cold.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
hatingmyhonda
Unregistered

i had the same problem and it was my bearingsss! not crazy expensive, 85 a pop at my mechanic. but you may want to get it done sooner than later.
-jen

Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a similar issue and was related a bad O ring on my power steering. Air was leaking in and thus causing the fluid to foam an leak out the top. There was a service bulletin for my 03 Accord and I also found a helpful video. Not sure if your problem was resolved our not, but I wanted to share.