General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Climate Control Blinks then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM

For some reason that link is dead. I found bits and pieces of info from other sites adn put them together for you. Basically, on the underside of the climate control board, just jumper the input (leftmost) leg of the78dl05 voltage regulator in the middle of the board to the positive leg of capacitor C1. That's it.

You can look up how to access the radio for detailed directions but in a nutshell:
- Remove plastic shroud/surround in center of dash
*remove 2 screws at bottom
*FOr third scres, it's hidden behind the clock. Using a thin bladed knife (I used a kitchen knife wrapped in a paper ticcue to avoid scratshing) or screwdriver, pry the bottom of the clock out and pull the unit out. Unplug the wires and set aside. Take out 3rd screw behind in dash. Lift shroud from bottom out.
- AC control unit is mounted to the back of the shroud.
*Disconnect the 2 wiring harnesses from AC control unit.
*Remove the 5 mounting screws and remove AC unit panel.
*Before mounting new unit, lug in the 2 wiring harnesses and check operation...you should be good to go if the original part was the failure.
- Replace pieces in reverse order.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 AM

It's dead Jim!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not Jim. The link I posted looks good.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

These are images of that person's post from the link.

Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Blinks then Dies-hybridmojo-post-part-1.jpg   Climate Control Blinks then Dies-hybridmojo-post-part-2.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Misty Mobley Atkins
Can you sen me the website, I am having the same issue, my lights on my 1998 honda accord quit working. I really love my old car and would like to get her up and going again. Thanks memeblu73@aol.com

P.s. any suggestions in this procedure would greatly be appreciated!
The link to the other forum is in my post. The post in the thread is #13, and the guy did a great job detailing the procedure. Just checked the link and it's still good.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I'm not Jim. The link I posted looks good.
That was a Bones(Star Trek) reference. For some reason I was having trouble with the link on my pc.

That fix is still working for me, what a great find!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Redbull/Drocca

I am having same issue in my 99 Honda Accord. My AC is completely dead and Heater is blowing maximum settings Hot air. Fan **** is working but Climate control **** has no control over the Heater. No control unit's lights are functioning and no control over any of the buttons on the Unit(except the blower fan control ****)

The initial problem was exactly what is described here. Climate control unit used to blink , would make click-click kind of sound and then would go dead in 1-2 minutes. It would then work for the settings you had selected before it goes dead.

Now control unit blows hot air and pressing any button has no change.

I am wondering the wire soldering solution you have posted would work for my Car?

Please advise.

Thanks

Note: 1) I disassembled the unit, used contact cleaner to clean the circuit - No change.
2) I took my car to local body shop. They are asking me to replace Control Unit first. It means they are not very sure.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

If you are got with soldering, then yes I would go with the jumper wire.

If not, a working one from "e-bay" or something like that....or a bone yard but one from a bone yard does not mean it is good....most yards will swap it out if you pull a bad one but the time and trouble of several trips might not be your thing.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ramshyam
Redbull/Drocca

I am having same issue in my 99 Honda Accord. My AC is completely dead and Heater is blowing maximum settings Hot air. Fan **** is working but Climate control **** has no control over the Heater. No control unit's lights are functioning and no control over any of the buttons on the Unit(except the blower fan control ****)

The initial problem was exactly what is described here. Climate control unit used to blink , would make click-click kind of sound and then would go dead in 1-2 minutes. It would then work for the settings you had selected before it goes dead.

Now control unit blows hot air and pressing any button has no change.

I am wondering the wire soldering solution you have posted would work for my Car?

Please advise.

Thanks

Note: 1) I disassembled the unit, used contact cleaner to clean the circuit - No change.
2) I took my car to local body shop. They are asking me to replace Control Unit first. It means they are not very sure.

Mine acted exactly like yours, at first blinking lights etc, then no lights, just blowing hot air(like some people I know).

This little jumper fixed the problem, I had cool a/c once again.

I no longer own that car, but it worked when I sold the car.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Blinks then Dies