General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Blinks then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by ramshyam
Redbull/Drocca

I am having same issue in my 99 Honda Accord. My AC is completely dead and Heater is blowing maximum settings Hot air. Fan **** is working but Climate control **** has no control over the Heater. No control unit's lights are functioning and no control over any of the buttons on the Unit(except the blower fan control ****)

The initial problem was exactly what is described here. Climate control unit used to blink , would make click-click kind of sound and then would go dead in 1-2 minutes. It would then work for the settings you had selected before it goes dead.

Now control unit blows hot air and pressing any button has no change.

I am wondering the wire soldering solution you have posted would work for my Car?

Please advise.

Thanks

Note: 1) I disassembled the unit, used contact cleaner to clean the circuit - No change.
2) I took my car to local body shop. They are asking me to replace Control Unit first. It means they are not very sure.
Sorry for the late reply. Provided that you have the manual climate control and NOT the digital climate control, the jumper solution should work for you. It worked for me for years, although I recently had to replace my CC unit for a different problem (potentiometer that regulates temperature became faulty).

Be sure to follow the directions carefully and if the problem with yours is indeed the same the issue should resolve.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by drocca adnoh
Mine acted exactly like yours, at first blinking lights etc, then no lights, just blowing hot air(like some people I know).

This little jumper fixed the problem, I had cool a/c once again.

I no longer own that car, but it worked when I sold the car.

Good luck.
I just used the jumper wire fix yesterday and it worked! I suck at soldering so if I can do this, anyone can.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 AM
Default same problem

The jumping of the wire worked perfectly. Thanks for the help

Old 08-11-2015, 01:55 PM

So I did notice an issue once I changed the buttons that control where the AC is dispursed. They do not change easily, it took quite a few times pressing buttons to get it to change. This is after I fixed using jumper

Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Could be the "mode motor" getting weak or binding?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by D.Puncher
So I did notice an issue once I changed the buttons that control where the AC is dispursed. They do not change easily, it took quite a few times pressing buttons to get it to change. This is after I fixed using jumper
You stated above that you were not good at soldering so I have to ask, the problem you now describe, was it present at any point prior or is it new? It may be that some solder is close to another lead on the board causing mixed signals if other suggestions don't work.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:58 AM

I think u may be right, wasn't the best soldering job. I'm probably just going to leave it alone since I always keep in on the same setting anyway. Just good to have cold air!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM

If my mechanic refuses to try this fix, will replacing the control panel fix the problem? It would cost over $300, but I have to have air conditioning.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Steveaccord98
If my mechanic refuses to try this fix, will replacing the control panel fix the problem? It would cost over $300, but I have to have air conditioning.
You can easily do it yourself if I can. If you really want to replace the control panel, yes it will fix it but I wouldn't pay $300. The part is half that price and takes 15 min to install

Old 06-24-2020, 09:33 PM

I have a 1998 Honda Accord on which I replaced the control panel with a junkyard panel a few years ago. Recently the replacement panel failed too leaving the heater blowing full blast. While looking for a schematic I stumbled on this thread and tried soldering on the jumper. It worked perfectly. Thanks, guys!

Quick Reply: Climate Control Blinks then Dies