General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

climate control help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default climate control help

I just got my accord and the climate control doesn't work right. I tried turning it to cold it just clicked and is stuck in one position. I took the panel off and unhooked the cable and then went ahead to try and turn off the heat valve under the hood but I don't know if it worked. Anyone have any tips for fixing this? It's like the cable is stuck and the **** won't turn it just clicks the plastic gears. I'm not sure where to start to remove the cable to inspect it. Does it run from the climate control to that valve under the hood? I was able to move the valve by hand but couldn't tell if it made a difference. Some days the air seems to feel cool and other days it feels warm, I don't know if the difference is a change in the outside temp or something wrong with the control itself. I should prob add that it's a '97 sedan EX

Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Anyone?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Make sure the adjustment drive is not already against a stop. Look under the dash and check wire linkage for possible fouling.

Temp adjustment problems can sometimes result from broken heat control **** not turning the drive stem.

Check youtube for videos on "accord heater control" or similar.

Replacement heater controls from salvage cars are inexpensive and readily available from ebay or car-part.com.

good luck

Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Make sure the adjustment drive is not already against a stop. Look under the dash and check wire linkage for possible fouling.

Temp adjustment problems can sometimes result from broken heat control **** not turning the drive stem.

Check youtube for videos on "accord heater control" or similar.

Replacement heater controls from salvage cars are inexpensive and readily available from ebay or car-part.com.

good luck
It would just click when I turned the **** but it would stop where it was supposed to when it bottomed out on either the cold or the hot side. I see that the **** itself has a crack in the part the that the shaft slides into but I don't know if that was already there or if I broke it. I'll investigate tomorrow and see if the control itself works when it's not hooked up to rule out a faulty cable. Maybe it IS just the ****, I'll post back when I find out more. Thanks for the tips I appreciate it.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok I got it sorted out. The gears were maxed out to one side and not in relation to the **** setting. So when I tried turning the **** it just caused the gears to slip and click. I tore it apart and realigned the gears so the **** matches the position on the gauge. Thanks TexasHonda for the reply.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

thanks for posting your fix. good work!

good luck