General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Buttons stops working - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Jon M
Unregistered
Default Climate Control Buttons stops working - Help

I have a 99 Accord. A few days back the climate controls button lights went out and the A/c stop working, the air was still blowing but the compressor stopped and I could not change the air direction. It comes on and off whenever it feels like it.

I changed the fuse, it fooled me and stayed on an entire day and went out when it was hot. Anyone know what the problem is?

Old 07-06-2023, 01:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Jon M
I have a 99 Accord. A few days back the climate controls button lights went out and the A/c stop working, the air was still blowing but the compressor stopped and I could not change the air direction. It comes on and off whenever it feels like it.

I changed the fuse, it fooled me and stayed on an entire day and went out when it was hot. Anyone know what the problem is?
The air mode buttons stopped lighting up again even after swapping the motherboard behind the buttons. I learned the real reason is likely the air mode actuator, which is a module under the steering wheel nearest the center of the dash, it is like the cruise control module in size. you may need to remove the fuse box and there are about 2 screws holding the bottom dash panel under the steering wheel in place. you might not need to remove it but it helps you see. the air mode actuator has a green connector you need to disconnect and there should be 2 push rods connected to the box, just like on your power door locks., inside you want to clean the contacts and grease off and sand the contacts lightly . you will regrease with silicone grease like sil glyde from Napa . you must also bend the fingers up which contact the rotary gear which has the circuits which the fingers touch, it looks like a circular maze of circuit traces. next bend and sand off the 2 positive and negative contacts on the electric motor so it makes more contact with it's circuit.

there is also the blend door actuator which looks exactly the same but it controls the hot and cold blending

these 2 videos show you how:

Old 12-22-2023, 03:34 PM
Default I'm having AC control problems on my 98 Accord

I have a 1998 Accord DX. At first the lights on my control panel stopped working, then after some time, no power except for the blower motor. I've swapped out all fuses and have installed 2 used control panel modules with no success. This leads me to believe the problem is not in the common areas. Is there a relay or resistor I'm not aware of?

Last edited by TheAverageJoe1911; 12-22-2023 at 04:32 PM.