General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Default Clutch

Well guys, this question is about MY car.

I need to make sure before I spend the $$$ on a new clutch. It is slipping (kinda like it is jumping on the flywheel). I am 99% sure it is the orignal clutch, I bought the car 3 years ago from the original owner and I have pretty much every receipt of any work he did. It is my mom's boss, I can check for sure if I think I need to. Car has 185,000 miles.

Does the slipping sound like a clutch problem? It does it more when it is cold but it doing it pretty often now. Drives fine and the gears shift fine. The pedal feels the same as it has the other 50k miles I have driven it. Also, what is a reasonable estimate for clutch replacement, I know about the flywheel resurface and the Honda guy suggested the rear main seal.

Thanks, Happy New Year I gotta go until next year now...

Old 01-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Clutch

I usually test a clutch by running at highway speed and bumping the clutch on and off while holding the gas steady, to see if the RPM jumps up or if the clutch will have enough pressure to continue friction.
As far as the flywheel resurface, the alignment dowel pins for the pressure plate have to be removed and the area where the pressure plate mounts uphas to be machined down the same amount as the area where the friction disc mates. Be sure to discuss that with the mechanic or machine shop.

And yes, for sure replace the rear main seal while it is all apart.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Well, I tried hondadude and desert's tests. When I on/off the clutch, it does jump when I am on the gas pedal. It depends on how much gas I am giving it though. I don't know what you mean by just bumping it. I was pressing the pedal all the way down and letting it up as fast as I could. It would increase RPMs depending on how much I was pressing the gas pedal. As far as just tapping the clutch pedal, it doesn't really affect anything. The jumping of the RPMs when I press the clutch pedal while holding the gas seems normal to me. I played around with some other things as well....first, there is a noise when I press the pedal up and down (squeaking noise). I am pretty sure it is the clutch fork on the slave cylinder, has been doing it for a year or two intermittentely. Other noise is when the engine is running you can hear a VERY quiet rubbing-type sound whenever the clutch is engaged, the sound is gone when disengaged. I figure this is just a normal noise as I remember hearing a similar noise that was a bit louder on my S10 when I had it.

Any clues, I just don't want to spend the cash on the clutch if I don't have to.

BTW, anyone have a reasonable estimate to what costs there are replacing the clutch and rear main seal??

Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

When a clutch slips it acts like you are starting off in first gear letting the clutch out to the engagement point, while stepping on the gas.

Rev it up to 2000 rpm in first gear holding in the clutch, then just flat out dump the clutch and if the car lurches foward and throws you back in the seatyour clutch is good; if the car takes off like it is an automatic and barely starts to roll the clutch is toasted.

The noise you describe in the second post could be the throw out bearing behind the pressure plate.

Rough estimate for clutch job and rear main seal, parts and labor $600;
It depends on the shop rate and how many hours flatrate they charge;7 flatratehours labor@ shop rate of $65 = $455 labor....plus the aftermarket clutch kit $130 and rear main seal $25

Just drive it up here to Fayetteville next weekend, and I'll throw in a new clutch kit for ya cheap !!! LOL

Old 01-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Yeah I don't know then, I haven't tried it at first gear but when I was playing with it in 3rd/4th gear when I would just dump the clutch when I was revving it it lurches quite a bit, I will go out and try the other in a bit.

Now that I am not so sure it is the clutch, what else could it be. I know the front torque rod needs to be replaced but the rubber in it is not cracked that much. It seems to do it when it is cold. It did it some last winter, more this winter [:@].

I might take it and see what a shop thinks. I called the place that did my brothers tranny rebuild and it was pretty cheap, I might take it by there......I drive a lot and don't want it starting to be undriveable or something.

Wow, another Accord owner in the state, I just don't see many of those around here LOL yeah right. I don't see many 91s as nice as mine though

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, I really like my "Accord" 67k miles

Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 AM

Is that a Vigor or a G2 Legend? It kinda looks like it could be a Vigor but the door handles are different I think. My bro has a 1990 Legend, we are doing a ton of work to it right now, I am sure he could tell me what it is without any thought.