General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch Fork Vibrating/squeaking/chirping

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Clutch Fork Vibrating/squeaking/chirping

So, I just bought a 95 Accord LX and there was a chirping sound coming from the clutch fork. So, I thought, well, maybe the system needs to be bled or the master cylinder needs to be replaced. Well, I've done both of those things and the only thing I can think of now is to ask people that actually know something about transmissions...

The guy said that the squealing had just started about two weeks before I bought the car, but it wasn't effecting the clutch from shifting gears at all. Now, within the last day or so every once in a while when trying to shift it won't let me, until I release the pedal and try again. Even though I'm obviously pushing the pedal all the way it feels like the fork isn't depressing the clutch plate enough, which makes sense because this clutch feels a lot different than my 94 in that this one (95) engages only at the last inch or two of pressing in the clutch pedal. My 94 engages about 6-8 inches away.

I thought maybe the system needed to be bled, or that the master cylinder might be going, but after replacing it the car still shifts an inch or so away from the floor and the clutch fork is still vibrating like crazy causing an extreme chirping/squeaking noise. I can put my hand on it and hold it and that stops the chirping, but my arm would fall off from the vibration. Is this the throw out bearing/release bearing, clutch fork bent, flywheel imbalance, worn out clutch fork spring...etc?

Like I said before, this just started happening, or at least the noise did, it shifts fine, just sometimes I have to release the clutch pedal and try pushing it in again or else I can't shift gears.

I have done a lot of research, but I keep seeing a lot of different answers, and the scenarios aren't all the same... If I left anything out that's important to diagnosing this, please just ask. And THANK YOU to everyone that responds. I enjoy working on my two hondas, but I'm pretty much a newb and so diagnosing things is nigh impossible since I haven't seen many repairs/scenarios... Thanks again! And, I hope I have this in the right forum, if not, direct me where to move it to! Thanks!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the slave cylinder?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No, I didn't, but will it cause the symptoms I'm having? I guess it would if you think it needs to be replaced. I guess that's what I'll try next, because I really don't want to have to pull the tranny apart...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

After thinking about it, it wouldn't seem that the slave is bad, because when I push down the clutch it engages the fork just fine. Is there anything I should look for that might indicate that the slave is bad? Like I said it seems to operate as it should, because when I engage the clutch the slave pushes fine and stops the vibrating. I'll still replace it though, just because it's a cheap part anyways and couldn't hurt. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Replaced Clutch Slave Cylinder

Okay, so I replaced the slave cylinder and still the same stuff going on, however when I pulled off the cylinder I did notice that the spring seemed rather stretched. I am going to try to get a new spring to see if it holds the correct amount of tension on the fork to keep it from vibrating so much.
However, it still doesn't solve the fact that it still doesn't seem like when I push down on the clutch pedal that it engages it enough so that the gears can easily shift. Is there any way I can adjust the pedal so that it engages sooner and therefore puts more pressure on the clutch plate when shifting gears? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link to a video on how to install the master and slave cylinder.

It also shows how to properly adjust the clutch pedal. Maybe this will fix the problem.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default master and slave replacement

Thanks for the video, though it isn't very informative as far as adjusting the actual pedal. I will mess around with it a little more. Could you explain what he meant by leaving slack in the pedal? I mean, I readjusted the screw that connects the pedal to the master cylinder, but I don't want to tighten it too much or else it will always be partially engaged. How do I tell when I have the right tightness? Thanks!

Last edited by JangoFren; 09-04-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay, so I readjusted the master cylinder screw that connects to the clutch pedal and I have it pretty much adjusted as far out as it will go. I basically already had it like that before anyways. So I went back to the clutch fork and found that when I push the slave cylinder rod into itself it stops the squeaking. I pulled off the spring that was holding tension on the clutch fork and that also helped to reduce the noise, but it didn't get rid of the chirping, it's just not as loud. I think I've come to the conclusion that the fork inside is bent, or else the release bearing is bad... It has to be internal. Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2022, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by JangoFren
Okay, so I readjusted the master cylinder screw that connects to the clutch pedal and I have it pretty much adjusted as far out as it will go. I basically already had it like that before anyways. So I went back to the clutch fork and found that when I push the slave cylinder rod into itself it stops the squeaking. I pulled off the spring that was holding tension on the clutch fork and that also helped to reduce the noise, but it didn't get rid of the chirping, it's just not as loud. I think I've come to the conclusion that the fork inside is bent, or else the release bearing is bad... It has to be internal. Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
You are the only person on Internet that I could find that described my situation perfectly. I know this is from 10 years ago, but by any chance do you remember what the problem was? This is driving me mental haha