General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Code 71 after SRS Reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Default Code 71 after SRS Reset

SRS light on all the time. I had codes 83 and 71. I performed an SRS reset jumpering the MES connector. The 83 disappeared, but I still have Code 71. What should be my next move?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Please post your vehicle information like in my signature.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:28 PM

It's a 2004 Accord V6. SRS Code 71

Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

The codes listed in the manual show a main code and a sub-code. So there is a code would be 71-1 or 71-2. There is only one code with 83, 83-1. How did you read the codes?

The code 83 (if read properly) is for the passenger seat weight sensor. I'll guess your code 71 is a code 71-2 for the passenger seat position sensor.

Did you do any work on the passenger seat or have to get under there for any reason?

Look under the passenger seat and verify the connections are plugged in and the wiring is not damaged. I'm not sure which connector(s) is for those sensors.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 PM

I read the codes by jumpering 4 to 9 on the OBD 2 connector. 7 slow flashes, 1 fast, Code 71.
The car has not been worked on. We have had it 3 yrs. I've changed trans fluid and oil. Done a rear brake job. I looked under the seat. Connectors appear to be connected. I may take the seat loose to access the conn and disconnect one at a time to see what doesn't change code wise. Then by process of elimination I should be able to find what sensor. Are you sure 71 and 83 are under the passenger seat? Anyone have any detail on which connector is what? I'm sure one conn will be for heated seat, other for PWR seat. Wire color would help.
Thanks in Advance

Last edited by LowRoller22; 10-12-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

I made mistake in my last post. The code 71-1 and 71-2 are for the driver's seat position sensor. 71-1 is for an open wire. 71-2 is for a short.

The shop manual doesn't give wire colors for the diagnosis. It says to unplug a two pin electrical connector. For the location of the sensor on the front driver's seat, it is near where the seat and back meet and towards the door. It also has a torx bit to remove.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:49 PM

^Yup. Should be driver seat, but you can clear the code and disconnect the passengers side and see if the codes change to confirm. Here lies the problem, even if you discover the problem and replace it the car will still have to go on a HDS scanner or an applicable scanner with the correct chip in order to set the SRS so that it recongizes the part has been replaced, otherwise the code will remain on. Oh to joy of newer technology! FYI there should be a service connector for the SRS on your vehicle. Drivers side near the fuse panel... Two pin!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:46 AM

I disconnected the yellow connector under the seat. I added code 3-1, which is high resistance for the seat belt tensioner. Ok, wrong connector.
I have searched a few code lists. I don't know. Is a code (7 slow) (1 fast) a Code 71-1 or is it a 7-1? Can someone post the correct code list for an 04 V6 Accord?
I want to pull the seat, but the covers for the rear bolts are on very snug. What's the trick?

Thanks

Old 10-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

The covers on the rear just take some prying from the side to unhook the clips. I think I broke one of the clips doing this on my TSX.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Default 2000 Accord EX V6 SRS light on and no codes

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
^Yup. Should be driver seat, but you can clear the code and disconnect the passengers side and see if the codes change to confirm. Here lies the problem, even if you discover the problem and replace it the car will still have to go on a HDS scanner or an applicable scanner with the correct chip in order to set the SRS so that it recongizes the part has been replaced, otherwise the code will remain on. Oh to joy of newer technology! FYI there should be a service connector for the SRS on your vehicle. Drivers side near the fuse panel... Two pin!
The SRS light is on in my 2000 Accord EX V6 after having the driver's seat belt latch replaced by a dealership.

Here's the story:

I took it to a dealership because I thought the problem might be the driver's seat belt latch. They scanned and said the code was for low voltage (the battery died about a week earlier) and did nothing.

Then I took it to a transmission shop for a transmission scan and they found code 09-3 (driver's seat belt latch).

Went back to dealership and they replaced the latch but the SRS light came back on after about 5 starts, so maybe they didn't use "...a HDS scanner or an applicable scanner with the correct chip in order to set the SRS so that it recongizes the part has been replaced..." .

Went to my usual mechanic who said that there are no DTCs for the SRS, but that there was a "history" code (I didn't think to ask which code, but I figure it was the 09-3).

Can anyone suggest a good next step?
TIA

I just read another post that stated that a faulty voltage regulator in the alternator could cause the SRS light to stay on without throwing any DTCs.