General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold engine, loud "clunk" park to reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Default cold engine, loud "clunk" park to reverse

I have a 1998 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe. Recently I've noticed a loud "clunk" noise when I shift from park to reverse. It only happens when the engine is cold, while the car is still in the garage. Other that this noise, the transmission works just fine. Shifts smooth and when it should.
It isn't low on fluid and as a precaution, I took it to a Honda Dealer and had the transmission drained and flushed out. No metal in the old fluid.
This made no difference on the noise, its still there.
I just took it in again and Honda said all motor mounts are just fine. They did recommend that I address a fluid leak which is at the front end of the motor. They also recommended re-sealing the cross bolt main bolt at rear of engine and monitor possible oil leak from behind timing cover.
I've had this car since it was new. It has approx. 172000 miles on it.
I'm reluctant to put any major money into it because of the mileage. The Honda Dealer (of course) couldn't hear the noise and said they would have to take the transmission apart to diagnose it. I'm afraid it will be more money than I want to put into the car. Any advice or ideas?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to have a friend put the car into drive from park and watch the engine movement. You may also be able to locate the noise if it is possibly the transmission. If you do this, please stand off to the side of the car, so you do not get hurt.