General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold weather performance issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default cold weather performance issue

I love my car and pretty much put brand new parts on everything But in the winter time. It seems like my acceleration and power are just not what they are when its warm out. Idk if anyone has noticed this with their car? Its only when its really cold out like right now its 20 degrees. My car still runs great it just seems alittle lazy In this type of weather. Any ideas? Would switching to a higher octane gas Maby help alittle idk thou.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Higher octane wont hurt your car, but it may make no difference and be a waste of money.

Is there a noticeable change in gas mileage? You may want to check for exhaust leaks.

The other thing you may want to do is lubricate the slide pins on the brakes with something like silicone paste.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I just replaced all the exhaust gaskets and im gonna take my brakes apart this weekend Maby the calipers are getting froze or packed with snow

Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jroxz44
I just replaced all the exhaust gaskets and im gonna take my brakes apart this weekend Maby the calipers are getting froze or packed with snow
Regarding the brakes, what you're suggesting is virtually impossible; don't waste your time and effort unless you actually need a brake job.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Well my rear calipers are missing all the rubber from the cylinder. And I had to use a hammer to put my pads in the housing. They were so tight. And when I drive my car its usually in 8-10 inches of snow. Where I live. And I put a intake on my car a while ago but I left the box that is in front of the tire that goes to where the air box is. But where does it suck air from cause I notice alot of snow down in the hole Maby its full of snow. And not getting all the air to my intake. Its the box below the air box behind my front quarter panel

Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Well my rear calipers are missing all the rubber from the cylinder. And I had to use a hammer to put my pads in the housing. They were so tight.
Sounds like it's time for new or remanufactured calipers; yours sound like they're ready for the scrap heap.

And when I drive my car its usually in 8-10 inches of snow. Where I live.
Your brakes don't care how deep the snow is, as soon as you press the brake pedal no amount of ice will prevent them from engaging, and the resultant heat will melt any and all ice, snow, and slush surrounding the calipers and rotors.

And I put a intake on my car a while ago but I left the box that is in front of the tire that goes to where the air box is. But where does it suck air from cause I notice alot of snow down in the hole Maby its full of snow. And not getting all the air to my intake. Its the box below the air box behind my front quarter panel
Sounds like it might be time to put the factory intake back on.