General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirmed Fix - 1996 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Default Confirmed Fix - 1996 overheating

Hi guys I bought a 1996 2.2 4 cylinder with 86k on it recently. I had a timing belt, water pump, new fluids, and other tune-up things up on it as soon as I bought it.
Then I drove it 2 hours away to my current residence(with no issues) and have been driving it daily for about 3 weeks at spurts of maybe 15 min at a time. However I have driven it for longer periods of time lets say more than 15 for example two times and both times it wants to overheat and push coolant out of the overflow. Can anyone tell me when each cooling fan is supposed to come on and operate? I know I've seen both of them spinning before but not at the same time. I am thinking about putting a thermostat in it next, but any ideas would be appreciated!
Also note I am in frequent stop and go traffic and lots of hills.
Thanks

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

With the ignition to ON or START, if the coolant temperature is above 199 degrees F at engine coolant temperature switch A (located on the thermostat housing – connected to the lower radiator hose), then the switch will close, which should turn on both cooling fans (radiator fan and A/C condenser fan).

With the car running, if the A/C is turned on, both cooling fans should run, regardless of the coolant temperature at the Switch A.

When you shut off the car and the coolant temperature is above 223 degrees F at the engine coolant temperature switch B (located on the housing connected to the upper radiator hose ), the radiator fan will run until the temperature drops at Switch B (which opens the switch) or 2 minutes.

Both Switch A and B are normally open type of switches, and close when the coolant temperature is above the respective temperatures.

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-06-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
With the ignition to ON or START, if the coolant temperature is above 199 degrees F at engine coolant temperature switch A (located on the thermostat housing – connected to the lower radiator hose), then the switch will close, which should turn on both cooling fans (radiator fan and A/C condenser fan).

With the car running, if the A/C is turned on, both cooling fans should run, regardless of the coolant temperature at the Switch A.

When you shut off the car and the coolant temperature is above 223 degrees F at the engine coolant temperature switch B (located on the housing connected to the upper radiator hose ), the radiator fan will run until the temperature drops at Switch B (which opens the switch) or 2 minutes.

Both Switch A and B are normally open type of switches, and close when the coolant temperature is above the respective temperatures.
Wow, awesome knowledge! I will have to see tomorrow but I'm pretty sure only the drivers side fan wants to run when the a/c is on, not both as you say they should. At least I've never noticed them both on when I've popped the hood with the car running. Can you me in a direction on what to check to figure why they aren't both running with the a/c on? Thanks

Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, with engine running and A/C turn on, both fans should run.

Sounds like your radiator fan is not working.

1. Check Fuse 21 (20A) located in the under-hood fuse/relay box.

2. If fuse is good, swap the power window relay with the radiator fan relay and see if it makes a difference. See attached pic.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-fan-relay-jpg

3. If radiator fan still doesn't run, check the fan motor by applying direct power and ground. This may be a little difficult to do, as the connector plug for the radiator fan is located near the bottom of the car. In addition, the plastic splash shield at the bottom of the car gets in the way when you're under the car.

Unplug the radiator fan connector and apply direct 12 volt power and ground to the connector. See linked pic. This way you can tell whether the fan motor is good or bad. You can use long wire such as speaker wires, etc. to run from the car battery or if you have a 12 volt lantern battery lying around, that works too.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...motor-test-jpg

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-30-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Forgot to thank you for your help, thanks! I put a new cooling fan assembly on it and it seems to be doing well so far.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome. Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad to hear things appear resolved.