General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Question coolant leak

Hi yall,,long time,,no chat,,,

96 accord ex 2.2 v tec coolant leak from up top by the distributor,,looks like bypass hose?? how hard is it to change?? any tips?? should i change both while im in there,,

also egr insufficient flow code,,what is the fix for this issue??

thank u in advance...

Old 05-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure which hose is leaking from your description. Look for both ends of the hose and see how it is clamped into place. Usually, you need pliers to squeeze the clamp and pull back so you can remove the hose.

I'd probably drain the coolant, so you don't leak coolant everywhere when changing out the part. You can replace both, if the other hose looks worn out. Just replace one at a time.

Below is a video on your exact engine on how to clean the EGR ports. It isn't too bad of a diy repair.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks pahonda for your timely response... It was a heater hose,,busted under distributor,,got it replaced and topped off with coolant,,put tools and extra coolant and hose in the trunk,,
And thank you for the video on the egr code,,looks do-able but i am gonna wait till i am released from rehab/hospital to tackle that,,,I should be home mid august and i dont think it will hurt it to drive it like that till then,.,correct me if im wrong,,,thank you again sir,,be blessed,,I am,,,

Old 05-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

You should be fine with the p0401 - egr flow.

Just me and my opinion, when cleaning the egr ports. I prefer to pull the fuel rail from the injectors - leave them in the intake. Get new upper o-rings (four) and replace and lube them (engine oil is just fine). Again, my opinion but more people run into trouble with creating a vac leak around the base of the injectors if they pull them from the intake.

I can see and smell a fuel leak from the tops of the injectors better than I can a vac leak at the base into the manifold....yes I know playing with fire.

Again, just my opinion. Best of lick.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thank you poorman for your response. Im sure ill have more questions regarding that fuel rail issue..thanks for the tip.. be blessed..