General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
muibu
Unregistered
Default Cooling Fan fuse keeps blowing

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and my cooling fan fuse keeps getting shorted. Is it because the motor might be shorted internally and I would need to replace it?

I jumped the thermoswitch and only the driver side fan came on. That's also the case when I turned on the AC, the only fan that comes on is the driver side fan.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Cooling Fan fuse keeps blowing

If you jumped it and only the drivers side comes on, even with the A/C on then there is most likely a problem with the passenger side. I'd try jumping/powering the passenger side directly and see if it even turns over it may very well be a bad fan motor.... if that was the case then start your car up when it's cold, with a new fuse, turn on the a/c and if it blows right away then disconnect the passenger side fan, put in a new fuse and try it again, if it runs fine/doesn't blow the fuse then you know what the problem is...

Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
muibu
Unregistered

One thing I don't understand is that I thought the thermoswitch on my thermostat housing is only for the radiator fan. If so, why did the AC fan (driver's side) come on when I jumped it? Or am I mistaken that both fans should come on, if they're working, when I jump the connector on the thermostat housing.

I also want to know what wires to use to power the fan to the battery and where to ground the wires? I know I should know more, but this forum has helped me to replace my EGR valve, clean the ports and IAC valve, so I'm capable. It's just that when it comes to electrical things, I'm more afraid to get shocked or cause more damage to the wiring system and they are more complicated to diagnose.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: muibu

...I thought the thermoswitch on my thermostat housing is only for the radiator fan. If so, why did the AC fan (driver's side) come on when I jumped it?
Most model-years they both come on. Some yearsonly one comes on after you shut down. They're 'radiator' & 'condensor' fans in name onlysince they both draw air thru both radiator & condensor. Also there's3 or 4differentcontrol schemes over all the years that Accords existed.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

try this,, unplug the rad fan, install a new fuse, spin the fan blade by hands see if it is binding or hard to turn if so motor is shot, if it spins ok,, start the car and see if the fuse blows again ( fan still unplugged ) if it does not than you found the cause, if it still does , it might be pinched wiring

Also when you jump the thermoswitch at the t-stat like people said both fans should come on , also both fans always come on while car is running when coolant is hot enough with a/c on or off

Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 PM
muibu
Unregistered

Thanks very much guys for your help. For something so obvious to check and didn't do, I apologize. Itried to hand move the fan and it was stuck and hard to move like you suggested. I went and bought a new motor, but bought the wrong one. I'll have to order the right one which will take a couple of days. I also replaced the thermostat by following deserthonda's sympton check. Found the lower radiator hose cold and upper hot. Took out the thermostat and I don't know if you called it open or stuck, but it was pushed in.

Would it be ok to drive with the fan taken out, but with the hoses connected back in? I don't think I should worry about it overheating because it's 25 degrees outside and the autoparts store is around 7 minutes away. I drove before without the fan working and the temp gauge never went over half....don't know if it'll be different if I drove without the fan.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Providing how cold it is and how short the trip is you'd probably be fine, just leave the heater on full to help keep the temp down, if the guage starts climbing I'd stop but chances are you're fine

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

like nasty said 1 fan should be fine.. just keep the eye on the temp gauge but considering where you live you are ok,,, I would definatelly fix it before summer arrives

Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
muibu
Unregistered

I went and got a new motor and installed it. Fan now runs, butbecause it's so cold up here, I haven't seen it come on after driving for 10 mins and letting it idle for around 5, but both fans come on when I turn on the AC.

Thanks very much for the help ya'll gave me.