General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Ok fans come on when green a.c. button is pushed. Aren't they suppose to be on when I'm running heater? Since I can't remember if I replaced the thermostat, I'm gonna order a new one.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The a/c fan is for cooling when the a/c is on.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Replaced the thermostat now the thing is overheating and no heater... grrr.. at least with a new temp switch I think the rad fans come on

Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Stuck on the side of the road writing this, waiting for car to cool before I pull thermo out and just drive it

Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 AM

Replaced the thermostat again.. overheated on the way home...

Old 03-23-2019, 01:50 AM

3 things that can make you over heat, thermo, temp sensor, or fan. Make sure you have the right thermo, double check the gauge, and ensure your temp sensor is working. Before all that flush your cooling system. Unless your radiator is plugged up that is the only thing that can cause your engine to overheat.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 AM

Radiator is pretty new, installed new thermostat, upper radiator hose, new fan temp switch, flushed system and flushed heater core. Installed new fast idle thermo valve. It's heating up pretty quick. Using torque pro to get coolant reading while driving. Removed new thermostat and installed old one because wasn't over heating with old one.. still over heating. I am bleeding air from system as I have before with the air bleeder valve on thermo housing. Maybe still have air in there?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Since it overheated while driving I say it isn't the fan. The fan is only needed when stopped, because the forward motion of the car provides plenty of air through the radiator.

You're using a scanner to read the temperature? General agreement with the dashboard gauge? That kinda rules out the sensor, because the scanner reads the ECT sensor while the dashboard gauge reads a different sender.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:22 AM

You were on your way home but did not indicate if you were stopped or not when you overheated. Did you realize it was overheating as you were moving or or at a standstil? You said you think the fans come on.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Torque pro and temp gauge on dash are equal. Car overheats while cruising around 55mph. I have a large read out on my phone showing the coolant temp and once it reached above 220 I pulled over and shut it down. I "believe" the radiator fans are turning on as should. I think they did once after installing new switch

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans Issue