General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system bleed method

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but I don't own one of those things.....one day I might buy one but to this day I've been able to bleed all of my Honda's by using the method in the service manual without any issues....again we all have "my way"

Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me but I don't own one of those things.....one day I might buy one but to this day I've been able to bleed all of my Honda's by using the method in the service manual without any issues....again we all have "my way"
Service manual method has always seemed to work fine for me too, for my 92 Accord I've been servicing since it was new. There were a few times I must admit that I overlooked following proper procedure and so of course did have issues though.

If this funnel gadget ends up saving me a little trouble and works slick like its supposed to (and no reason it shouldn't) then maybe I won't regret parting with the 25 bucks too much. And, of course, for it to work right I need to follow proper procedure too. I realize it's not a magic funnel that prevents me from screwing up, but I haven't seen that advertised yet or I'd be biting the bullet for that one too.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, had to take the "human" out of the equation

I've "forgotten" this, that or the other before as well.....creating that "oh you big dummy" moment.

So how is everything going with the car - I'll guess the HG and timing stuff is all done and it is back on the road?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM

I've "forgotten" this, that or the other before as well.....creating that "oh you big dummy" moment. So how is everything going with the car - I'll guess the HG and timing stuff is all done and it is back on the road?
Yes, HG and timing stuff is all done, finally. And car has been back on the road, and actually quite running smoothly I'm happy to report. After the job, it started up nicely and I got it to idle nicely there in the driveway for quite a while, with no apparent problems. Then took it for the first test drive the other day, drove about eight miles with no apparent problems. However the story would not be complete without including the aforementioned "oh you big dummy" moment:

Next morning I decided to sneak a peak at the coolant level. Down it was, not visible looking into the filler neck. What the %#@! I thought. I was almost certain I had filled it and bled the air properly. But maybe just a little air pocket somehow remained and had "burped itself out" I wondered. So I added more coolant to top it off again, but it took like almost two quarts. Oh oh something just not right. Didn't see any leaks though, while idling there in the driveway. So, off to the auto parts store to borrow the cooling system pressure tester I went. (Loaner tool program at Car Quest)

It turned out that when under pressure I was having quite significant leakage from a small coolant hose connection down under the throttle body. To stop it, I tightened the completely loose hose clamp at the connection, which I had obviously forgotten to tighten during reassembly. There it was, that's where my coolant went. And that was my moment: "Oh you big dummy".

After tightening, the system was holding under pressure just fine, and that took care of that. However, then I noticed some minor seepage/dripping from the heater valve. Long story short, that turned out to be because I had replaced the old pre-formed stock inlet hose connected to the valve with a length of regular heater hose from the parts store. The 3/4" hose was oversize compared to slightly smaller inside diameter stock size, and was not sealing because of it. So I've had to order the proper hose and it won't be here for a few more days. After that, the car will back on the road.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Cool.....so are you getting the Gates hose from carquest (18774, 18850 or 18894)?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 PM

Cool.....so are you getting the Gates hose from carquest (18774, 18850 or 18894)?
Actually, I found Car Quest price for the hose rather excessive in comparison to another vendor online. So it's this hose I ordered as shown in the diagram #16:
Part Detail

And while I was at it I got this one too, #2.
Part Detail