General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling system problem

Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Default Cooling system problem

Ok, i was driving once and my temp gauge started raising all the way up to red. I got home, filled the radiator with coolant. Now when driving the temp stays below half, but the problem is the coolant in the reservoir tank starts boiling and leaking out. The fan doesnt kick in when driving, only when i shut off the car. What the hell is the problem, please help

Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 PM
ricj
Unregistered
Default RE: Cooling system problem

You are losing coolant from some hose leak, so when it gets hot it finds enough pressure to come out. If you drive for long then you will find that steam and coolant comes out real fast and requires a new refill. Get the hoses and coolant system checked because overheating can cause serious damage to engine head and that can be a big ticket repair.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 07-14-2007, 10:05 PM

ok, but why does the fan only starts working after the car is shut off

Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

first of all you need to chk if there are any leaks in the cooling system, pressure test for that,,,,,,,,
also i would have the complete cooling system chked out,,
t-stat operation, fans operation, ( both fans should come on ) rad cap, etc etc

as for the fan coming on when car is shut off,, that is normal , 1 fan ( main cooling fan ) comes on for about 15 minutes or so , to cool down underhood temp, also it will come on if system is pretty low on coolant

Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 PM

can u give me specific directions?

Old 07-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: bboyalex

can u give me specific directions?
well first of all make sure radiator is full, get a cooling system pressure gauge and pressurize the cooling system go up to 16-17 lbs,, let it sit for a few seconds and see if you notice any leaks, chk all the hoses, water pump, etc etc..

if there are no leaks, pressure test the radiator cap ,,

if cap is no good replace ,, if cap is ok,, start the car and let it warm up, the lower hose should feel hot after a while as well as the top hose , if lower rad hose feels hot after engine has been running for a while the t-stat is opening up properly ,, if lower rad hose still feels cool , cold or barely warm t-stat is stuck closed,, replace the t-stat and retry

once t-stat has opened properly, let engine run a bit more ,, BOTH fans should come on, ..if only 1 fan comes on chk for power and ground to the fan that does not work if you have both, you need a fan motor , if no power , chk fuse, relay , or wiring ,, no ground chk wiring
if neither fan comes on, unplug the green plug at the t-stat housing ( 2 wires in it ) , get a paper clip and jump the wires together if fans come you you got a bad fan switch, replace and retry,

Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Default UPDATE

Problem fixed. Replaced cap and ect switch.