General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system on 1984 Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
mike84Accord
Unregistered
Default Cooling system on 1984 Accord.

Cooling system on 1984 Accord.

I was trying to drain the coolant on my 1984 HOnda ACcord and consulted Haynes, manual, which didnt' say where it was, but talked like it was something simple.
I consulted the owner's manual and it showed a diagram where the bolt was behind the exhaust manifold, but it's not there.
Chiltons says it's either on the front, behind the exhaust manifold, or above the oil filter(???). Well, if it's above the oil filter, forget it, I can barely reach the oil filter, let alone stick a wrench up there and undo a bolt, I can't even see the bright orange oil filter from underneath, let alone some tiny dark bolt.

Chiltons suggested I undo the bottom radiator hose, which was also hard to access,but I pryed it off, and nothing came out of the hose.

So, just wondering, where is the engine drain bolt for the coolant, and how do I drain the engine block?

Also, the coolant seems to be leaking from somewhere, much of the block is wet with coolant, but can't really tell where it's coming from, it's not hurting anything yet, but just wondering if anyone has ever tried those radiator leak additives. I've tried the stop leak additives for power steering and radiators before, but they have never worked at all.

I'd appreciate any insight you have to give. Thanks.

1984 Accord.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:49 PM
GolfingTiger
Unregistered
Default RE: Cooling system on 1984 Accord.

I owned an '84 Accord, but I don't remember having any issues with finding the drain valve on the radiator. I'm 100% certain the drain valves on my '86 Prelude and '98 Accord were on one extreme end and bottom of the radiator. On each car, the valve could be reached through a hole cut in the splash shield specifically for draining the radiator.

I've never had a radiator leak on any of my Hondas, so I can't help with any experience in using the stop-leak type of products.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM
jkp
Unregistered
Default RE: Cooling system on 1984 Accord.

Mike
I've got an 84 which I know a lot about, and have driven everyday for about 15yrs now....If I were you, I would simply get a flush and fill kit....and drain your system from the bottom petcock on the radiator itself. I'm not sure where the engine block drain is located but I cannot think of any good reason why you should go to that extent to change out your coolant....unless you are having other probelms....ie overheating,...blockage...etc. As far as the leaking goes....I alwys try to look at the simplest ans easiest things first.....I would carefully inspect your hoses....and if in doubt replace them....that may fix your mystery leak.
Good luck....keep that thing going mine is pushing 280k and is a pleasure to drive.