General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corrosion on battery terminals

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Default Corrosion on battery terminals

What causes corrosion on battery terminals. I have cleaned off the corrosion on the positive post but it keeps coming back quite often. What causes this and what is good to use to prevent it? Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Default RE: Corrosion on battery terminals

there are a couple of ways to prevent it, there is a red colored paste that you can put on them (kind of gooey/messy but it works great) and there are some felt like washers that you can but for about $1.00 from the auto parts store. I suggest cleaning the terminals, remove the cables put on the washers then a thin film/layer of the anti-corrosion goop and your problem will most likely go away

Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Battery acid vapors leaking up around the terminalpost is the cause of the corrosion.
I'm not sure who makes the GenuineHonda batteries now but they don't have that problem.
I used to swear by Interstate batteries, but the last 2I got had that problem; then when I went for the warranty over the problem they weren't very friendly about the situation. After having the battery for 3 monthsI got less than 1/2 my money back on the deal. [:@]
I'm trying a 'Delco' brand ['O' Reilly Parts Store]in my yota pickup right now. 2 months old "so far so good".

Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Once your terminals are clean you can apply some dielctric grease to them to keep the corroision from forming again. I just use petroleum jelley though...smear it on the terminal after you clean it.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:39 PM

when I got my accord it had an Autocraft Silver (advance auto parts brand) and it did fine. I replaced it in september with an O'reilly mega start maintenance free battery and not had any problems with it so far, other than leaving my lights on at work for 9 hours and running it dead once.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm glad you brought up the subject on battery corrosion. I know on the older honda's (1990-1992) there is an A/C hose that runs along the bottom of the battery and if you do not keep controlof the corrosion, it will eat right through your hose causing all your freon to leak out. Happened to me and I've seen it happen to friends as well. I'm not sure about the newer Honda Accords.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:41 AM

On every car I have owned over the past 35 years, I clean the terminals with baking soda and a battery terminal cleaner and then coat with grease. After that I have never had the corrosion return.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: hondadude

I used to swear by Interstate batteries, but the last 2 I got had that problem; then when I went for the warranty over the problem they weren't very friendly about the situation. After having the battery for 3 months I got less than 1/2 my money back on the deal. [:@]
WOW Dude i am surprised ,,, we use Interstate at our shop and they replace all batteries if they fail within the first 18 months ,, yes.. fully warrantied free of charge .. after that they pro-rate them .....
I have had to replace a couple under warranty and never had any issues

Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM

This is along the subject line and was a learning experience for me:

Our'03 Corolla made the green mound of goo on the positive terminal in spite of all efforts. After PM ing with DesertHonda I decided to replace the + cable that goes to the starter. I didn't see this initially but the cable is two piece. The battery end attaches to a connector which is actually the positive terminal clamp.That piece had corrodedbeyond helpon the underside which I didn't realize until removing it. A new connector on the cablesolved the problem. I decided shortly thereafter to replace the battery also but the new connector solved the corrosion problem. This may not be news to some but I had only seen a one piece cable with crimped connectors on both ends previously......guess I just don't pay attention!

Thanks DH