General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cracked block?

Old 08-01-2005, 07:40 AM
kjinpb
Unregistered
Default cracked block?

99 Accord EX
2.3 ULEV
auto

I've had problems with my accord since i bought it. 2 yrs ago the tranny went out. Replaced under warr. no probs since. 4 mos ago the engine overheated. Blown headgasket. replaced under warranty. had to take it back 3 times for CEL. First time they reset and gave it back, next time they said some sensor had sand in it from the cleaning of the head gasket. Cleaned sensor and gave back. 3rd time they replaced the sensor. The head gasket was replaced at about 89k and now car has 102k all hwy miles. Now, i noticed oil coming out of my overflow tank. I took it back thinking the HG blew again. They looked for 3 days and said my block is cracked. Here's the thing, they did a flush and drove the car a little bit and didn't notice any mixing of fluids. Then i didn't believe them so i told them to drive it more. They finally noticed the mixing. If it's true and the block is cracked, how could this be caused? I'm guessing something happened during the whole HG thing. That's the only time the car overheated and that's when i think the block cracked. I wouldn't think the block would crack just driving down the road. My car is now out of warranty >100k and the dealership is saying they're not going to pay. I contaced honda HQ and they assigned it to an advisor. I just know they're going to not cover the cost. At best, they may cover half. Is there anything i can say or do to make them cover what i think happened during the warranty and they shoulf of caught?

Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Default RE: cracked block?

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you about what to say to them. As far as their concerned the warranty is up and 2nd the car has >100k. Haven't seen an F23 with a cracked block that's not boosted. The cylinders are iron. I'd have someone else look at it. It's not like you sent a rod through it. I drive pretty hard. Last car I had where it overheated, it was nothing but problems from there on out.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 PM

theres a possibility that it just cracked by itself - not necessarily because it overheated long time ago. 12 thousand miles is about a year of regular driving.

Things do go bad - your best bet is to find a used motor or get a remanufactured one.

Even though I feel bad for your problem I dont see any connection and I would also stand on Honda's Side.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:55 PM
kjinpb
Unregistered

The car's not boosted. My wife drives it back and forth to work everyday. Everything is factory. I have Honda do all the major service intervals. The 12k occured in the last 4 months. She drives over 120 miles r/t everyday so the miles accumulate quickly. I'm going to see if I can get them to foot some or all of the bill. But at least now with a 3rd party input, I won't be as mad as I was before if they refuse. The bad part is that the warranty expired 2k miles ago. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2005, 02:18 PM

The only connection I can see to that blook cracking is the overheating...it does quite a bit of damage and you can never tell what all it affected in the long run. The F23 is a good block, now as for the pistons...that's another story.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 PM

An F23 on ebay is cheap.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 PM
kjinpb
Unregistered

Well, I finally got done dealing with Honda on this issue. They put in a brand new block and other misc stuff. They paid for all the parts, I paid for partial labor. All said and done, I paid $755. I think if I would of fought this further, I could of got it all paid for but it's not bad considering the cost of everything. One thing I can say is that I'll never take it back to the dealer it came from. Their customer service was the worst I've ever had. Honda corporate wasn't the greatest either till I spoke to my case manager's manager. All that was after threatening to speak to the general manager, BBB, and file a formal complaint. It's amazing how nice and quick they are once threatened like that.