Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

cracked head,block or gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Default cracked head,block or gasket?

I have a 94 5sp accord ex. Well driving from work one day the radiator broke I didn't notice the temp gauge rise so it got hot and steam was coming of the hood and immediately I shut off the car. I let it cool like for 20 minutes pour some antifreeze mix to be able to get home. The car rode great. I bought a new radiator and installed it. Well after like two weeks of driving my car started to shut of as I was driving. Now when the car stalled the warning lights never turned on. So after waiting 15 minutes I turn the key then the warning lights came on and the car started quick.The car did the same every few miles until I finally got home now the temp was normal aways. Also if I try to turn the car on while the warning lights are off the car ill turn but not start until the warning light come back on. I replaced the ignition switch and checked the main relay but the warning lights stayed on with the relay removed so I guess thats not it. Could it be a cracked head block or gasket? I notice like a bit of steam coming of my muffler very light and some drops of water. But my coolant levl remains the same. Also when starting the car theres no bubbles on the radiator but the coolant does rise and when the fan turns on it lowers again. any help please.[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Default RE: cracked head,block or gasket?

any suggestions. Also what heads fit the f22b engines, Any Dohc vtec fit?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-10-2007, 05:36 PM

any suggestions
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 PM

I think you need to clarify some things for experienced people (unlike me) to answer your questions. 1. When you start the engine cold, i.e. in the morning – do you have any white smoke coming from exhaust pipe? 2. What “warning lights†are you talking about? The dash lights, like oil, check engine etc.? 3. Does your starter turns when you try starting with the “lights off� 4. Did you check the battery posts connection? It sounds more like some kinds of a connection problem….

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 PM

ive head you can put an h22 head on the f22 block
my friend has a 93 or 94 prelude with an f22 engine and hes planning to put the h22 head on it
more info on this at honda-tech.com somewhere
that's the site where he found out about it

Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Well the warning lights are the check engine,abs oil ect. When those lights dont come on the engine turns but wont fire. Once they do come on the engine fires in a heartbeat. Also the smoke happened once I havent seen it again. It was more like a steam of some water evaporating. And the battery post are good. What has me stumped its when the car stalled and it would turn on I noticed coolant on the top part of my transmission. The temp gauge never got hot only normal temp. I recently chabged the radiator and didnt bleed the air out could that cause the car to stall?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 PM

I’d say it’s obviously something electrical and not coolant/engine related. I’d bleed the coolant anyway, just be sure and forget about it…. Then pull up the wiring diagram for your car and follow the ignition circuit where it could loose the contact. I am not sure but it could be on the fuse box connection. Did you recently steam clean the engine or anything like that? Try to bypass the ignition switch completely and supply + to the ignition somewhere & then start the car.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Can someone show me how to steal my own car? what wires do I need to connect to turn on the dash warning lights[align=left] [/align]