General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank(shaft) pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Default crank(shaft) pulley

I am the original owner of a1996 Honda Accord. I don't drive a lot and the car just turned 100,000 miles. A mechanic tells me that my crank pulley is wobbling. He said that a crank pulley can become worn, and become wobbly. He recommends I replace the crank pulley. He says a wobbly crankshaft pulley can cause the engine to stall (turn off). When I looked on the internet, I read that the crank pulley is connected to components that do not affect the car's ability to drive. Is my mechanic correct, does the crank pulley affect a Honda Accord's ability to move?

And, I was reading an old comment about crank pulleys:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-pulley-31787/

Based on what I read in that comment, I wonder:
What are the chances that an after market crank pulley, without the rubber damper, will damage main bearings and oil pump? Is it guaranteed to happen, every time? If a crank pulley without a rubber damper is installed (in a 96 Accord) how long does it take (how many miles) for it to damage main bearings and oil pump?

Last edited by dschwart; 06-04-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by dschwart
I am the original owner of a1996 Honda Accord. I don't drive a lot and the car just turned 100,000 miles. A mechanic tells me that my crank pulley is wobbling. He said that a crank pulley can become worn, and become wobbly. He recommends I replace the crank pulley. He says a wobbly crankshaft pulley can cause the engine to stall (turn off). When I looked on the internet, I read that the crank pulley is connected to components that do not affect the car's ability to drive. Is my mechanic correct, does the crank pulley affect a Honda Accord's ability to move?

And, I was reading an old comment about crank pulleys:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-pulley-31787/

Based on what I read in that comment, I wonder:
What are the chances that an after market crank pulley, without the rubber damper, will damage main bearings and oil pump? Is it guaranteed to happen, every time? If a crank pulley without a rubber damper is installed (in a 96 Accord) how long does it take (how many miles) for it to damage main bearings and oil pump?

What I'd be more worried about is whether or not the crank bolt is tight. If it's had a chance to loosen up, the key for the lower timing gear can come out and change the engine timing. Also, the key way in the pulley can get opened up. This happened to my 99 Accord and was part of the reason I got it so cheap. I replaced the pulley and key, along with resetting the timing, and everything has been good to go since.

Ninja edit: If the timing belt has been recently, or semi recently replaced that bolt might not have been torqued to spec (153 ft lbs).

Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 PM

OK, you are saying that a properly installed crank pulley with or without the rubber damper, should not harm the engine?

Also, to my second comment, does the crank pulley affect my car's ability to move? That is, if my car is experiencing stalling, the car just turns off, could the problem be a wobbly crank pulley?

Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM

A wobbly pulley can cause an issue eventually. Do you know how long it has been doing it. That pulley controls the engine if it goes then it could be the end or your engine or what you are willing to put into it.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

It shouldn't cause those kinds of problems. A wobbly pulley will cause vibration, and eventually if it gets so bad that something falls apart that'll be sudden and not really like what you're describing.

The only thing that resembles that, if the rubber isolator is slipping much, then the alternator won't be driven properly. That leads to battery not staying charged, but again it'll act like battery/alternator problems.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 AM

I think I'd look online for a pulley with the rubber in it. I got mine thru Rock Auto, and I believe it has the rubber (it's been 2 years since I did anything with it).
Yes, a solid pulley can cause excessive bearing wear.

But a wobbly pulley shouldn't cause stalling or anything like that. It can however cause a belt to be thrown if it's wobbling enough.

But, if the crank bolt backs out enough, the key can walk out of the lower timing gear and change the engine timing. What you'll notice is that it might idle, but it won't have any power (acceleration), and it'll toss the belts. I experienced that personally on my 99 when I bought it (all but the belts, as they were already thrown).