General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankshaft pulley and coolant with high pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default crankshaft pulley and coolant with high pressure

Hi Guys,

My car has been broke for a month now and it's giving me (and my wallet) a lot of headaches.

The problem started with a big noise in the engine, which eventually lead to the crankshaft pulley been destroyed in the joint with the crankshaft.

The mech replaced the crankshaft and the pulley, the engine starts and it 'sounds' good. But the engine heats litereally in a minute or less. It also has a lot of pressure, it can blow the rad cap if you try opening it.

He checked the hose, the t-stat, the radiator (it was replaced 2 years ago, so it's new) and everything seems fine. But another weird thing is that the fan starts when you turn the engine off, instead of when the engine is hot.

So, the mech is kind of lost now. He thinks it may be one of the cilinder liner that broke, but haven't decided to open the engine yet. I had broken the timming belt in november, so the engine was open recently and he don't want me to spend money in opening it again.

So, short question is: what can create such a high-presure / high-temperature in such a short time?

thanks all in advance

Old 10-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Head gasket leak allowing exhaust gas to be pushed into coolant system. A simple chemical test is available to confirm if exhaust gas is entering coolant.

good luck

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Head gasket leak wouldn't turn the exaust gases to be whiter because of boiled water? Anyway, how is this chemical test? I haven't heard of it

Thanks for your quick response!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Uview Gas and Diesel Combustion Leak Tester Testing Kit | eBay

Coolant may change color due to exhaust fumes, oil, or both.

good luck