General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crankshsft seal leak fixed.....what else could be leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Crankshsft seal leak fixed.....what else could be leaking?

I posted last month (2/26) about a rear main seal leak on a 2002 Accord CP 5speed 135k miles.
I went to **THREE** different places and they all confirmed the leak (2 dealers and 1 independent shop). Took the car to a Trusted machanic That a friend recommended and he replaced the crancshaft seal and the clutch assembly which was a bit worn.
The mechanic told me the old seal was dry and didn't think the leak was caused by the seal. Could it be?

He suspects the oil pan is leaking, so is it possible the other 3 places misdiagnosed the problem?!! Aghhhhhhh...

here is what was done to the car :

valve cover gasket replaced June/2006
oil pan gasket ( sealed): done June/2006
crankshaft seal nad Clutch assembly: done March 2008

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Crankshsft seal leak fixed.....what else could be leaking?

Sometimes it's hard to tell where the leaks originate. Did he say it was the oil pan gasket. should have been a lot easier to tell while the flywheel was off.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

He mentioned the oil pan gasket was leaking, but he said I could wait to get it fixed.

They probably resurfaced the flywheel when they replaced the clutch, so I guess the flywheel had to come off? so I am not sure if he was able to tell the oil pan was leaking as you suggested.

The oil seal they replaced was dry and no oil was on it, so maybe that is how he concluded the RMS wasn't leaking (just a guess).

-Mott

Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

In this picture look at item #7, it mounts on the block and is only sealed with a silicone sealant.
Yes the rear main seal is mounted in it, but just because the sealer in #7 where it meets the block leaks oil doesn't mean that replacing the rear main will reseal the oil port case.
I know I've shown this about 500 times on this website [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Are you saying that all the parts in #7 should have been replaced instead of just the seal(#30)?
as far as I was told, the seal is always the cause of the leak as it gets hard or damaged.

What do you mean by the oil port case? Is it the part in #7 excluding the seal(#30).

I am really confused right now![:@]

Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

#7 is a casting that has channels in it for oil flow, it is sealed to the block with a silcone sealer.
It doesn't need to be replaced, just removed and resealed while the trans is off.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not sure if the casting was removed and resealed when they did the RMS job. So if they didn't remove the seal and reseal it, the car would still leak just like it did with the old seal?

The only parts I paid for were Crankshaft seal and a clutch kit pressure plate, disc, and release bearing. No mention of a sealer.

thanks!
-Mott