General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else could it be? Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Default What else could it be? Belt?

I have a 2003 Honda Accord v6 with 155k miles. Started hearing a noise toward the front of the car 2 weeks ago, really loud noise. Took it in to my mechanic said alternator and pulleys needed to be replaced. 2 days latter belt started making a squeaky sound took it back said the "tensioner" assembly needed to be replaced. 2 days later noise back replaced the tensioner with a direct one from Honda. Picked it up today noise started back on the way home. When the car is cold you here it when you crank it an accelerate, when it's warmed up just when you accelerate. When you turn on the AC it's even louder. I'm am in no way mechanically incline but I’m getting a little upset. What else could it be. Timing belts and water pump changed in 2012. AC compressor changed in 2013. Any advice or suggestions?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM

Possibly. My 06 accord use to make noise and I changed the tensioner pulley and continued. When I changed the belt it stopped

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

One thing appears certain,... you need a new mechanic. He has slapped parts in place and done no followup testing. He's sold you alternator, pulleys, two tensioners and hasn't fixed your problem. Time to seek help elsewhere.

Is noise a squeal, knock, grinding, or what?

I would suspect either belt is too loose (stretched) or something has a high load causing belt slippage (alternator, Power Steering, AC compressor, water pump). One way to isolate problem as one component driven by serpentine belt is to remove belt and crank engine. If no noise, then one of the components, including the belt, is at fault.

good luck

Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 AM

The noise in my opinion sounds like a belt. it's a squeaking noise. I also failed to mention during the first set of repairs when the alternator and pulleys were replaced a belt was replaced also. I agree I’m not sure how much faith I have in him anymore after this. The funny part is I was getting ready to trade it in for a new Honda in May when the noise started, I figured I couldn't drive it in there with that noise so the best thing would be to get it fixed first, then trade it in around May (was my date). So now that I've paid him, I have no choice but to work with him until it's resolved. They including the owner are very apologetic but I don't want apologies I just want it fixed.