General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CV Axle Balance Weight Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Default CV Axle Balance Weight Question

Howdy folks,

I got a 2004 honda accord that developed a bad CV axle (possibly)

And I've ordered brand new cv axles from autozone, and they came without the balance weight (you can see in above video, it's the weight that's clamped in the middle of the rotating arm) that's installed on my original cv axles..

Are those balance weight required? How come my new axle doesn't come with it..

here is pic of the new cv axles I got along with tools to tackle the job myself

Thanks for your help

Last edited by accord_li; 01-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

It's called a dynamic damper. Most aftermarket axles will not come with it. You should be okay without it.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have never seen a CV joint wobble like that and if the wheel like in the video is also wobbling I would be thinking wheel bearings or something else like the hub. On the damper it is very common not to have them on reman axles and I never heard of that creating a problem even at the Honda dealer I worked at.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM

Hmm, I was trying to pull the CV axle back and forth and it's got quite some play in it... Didn't check the bearings, I'll do it when I have the chance, thanks.

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I have never seen a CV joint wobble like that and if the wheel like in the video is also wobbling I would be thinking wheel bearings or something else like the hub. On the damper it is very common not to have them on reman axles and I never heard of that creating a problem even at the Honda dealer I worked at.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM

The joint in your photo is a Tripod and it is made so the shaft moves in and out when needed on turns.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Something is wrong to cause that much wobble in the wheel and hub assy. Massive out-of-balance would be necessary to cause that much vibration at engine idle. Hit any big pot holes to bend the wheel rim?

I had problems on my 94ex w/ AZ axles, rebuilds not new, which was finally resolved when Raxle brand cv axles were installed (w/ vibration dampners!).

I would keep the driver's side axle.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 01-09-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM

I was thinking the you tube video wasn't the car of the Op but just an example of the issue?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I was thinking the you tube video wasn't the car of the Op but just an example of the issue?
Chris - the video is the actual car I drive that's having the problem! I discovered it at the beginning of my super long 3000 mile christmas trip... It made it all the way back thank god...

My steering wheel vibrates at ALL speed ranges, and particularly worst at 20-40mph. The vibration pattern is of back and forth rocking to the left and right of center, and the car would drive straight if i don't touch the steering wheel.

On reverse gear it's a different story, the car would immediately tilt to one side as soon as it's in R gear...

Speaking of tire thread... almost all the left/right side thread is gone on both driver and passenger side of the front wheels...

Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Something is wrong to cause that much wobble in the wheel and hub assy. Massive out-of-balance would be necessary to cause that much vibration at engine idle. Hit any big pot holes to bend the wheel rim?

I had problems on my 94ex w/ AZ axles, rebuilds not new, which was finally resolved when Raxle brand cv axles were installed (w/ vibration dampners!).

I would keep the driver's side axle.

good luck
Definitely something wrong here My wife hit the curbs with my car more than once in the last 2 years... But I just did wheel balances and I see that all the weights are still on the rims, maybe I need to carefully inspect the joints as well as the rim/bearings and switch out the rear tires to the front and see what happens, since both of my rear tires are in like new condition with no thread damage.

Gas mileage on highway has been good as well, hitting 32-35mpg, locally, the mpg has been 18mpg

Thread wear Front Passenger Side (one that's having the wobbly CV Axle, it's also worth mentioning that the inside of the front tires have similar wear with no threads left..)

Thread wear Rear Passenger Side

Front Driver Side

Rear Driver Side

Last edited by accord_li; 01-09-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM

After thinking about your car more and watching the video again. I am not sure if the axles have an issue as the wheel are turned and that up and down of the axle may be normal to CV joints. I not sure. Both front tires do have an issue which may be a bent rim, hub or just the tires. My first guess would be belt shifts in the tires. Years ago on here someone had the brakes done at a repair shop and they changed the Honda Recessed rotor bolt with a standard bolt and it kept the wheel from being flush to the rotor and caused a major vibration. When did the issue start?

Quick Reply: CV Axle Balance Weight Question