General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cv axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Default cv axle replacement

Hello. First off, I apologize if this is the wrong area for this. This is my first time using this website. Alright, here's my problem. Today I removed a damaged cv drive axle, driver side, from my 1998 Honda Accord LX V6. Removal went fine, no big issues. The replacement, which I bought from auto zone, went into the transmission fine. I went under the car and the transmission side of the axle is in all the way. I started putting everything back together and when I tried moving the spindle to align with the upper balljoint to get the stud in, the outer balljoint on the axle would not bend. I can get it to twist left and right, and it's currently pointed at a downward angle, but I can't get the balljoint to bend up so that the spindle will meet up with the upper balljoint. Any suggestions? I tried putting a lift under the wheel hub to get it to bend up but all that happens is the drive axle as a whole lifts up. I checked other models in my car's year, such as the EX, and also the 99 models and they are the same part number that I have.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie! You're OK for posting location.

I guess I don't understand. You're saying the outer CV joint doesn't flex properly? If you hold the axle assembly (say before you inserted it into the trans); the outer stub of the axle should flex every which way. If it doesn't, then I guess your new axle is defective.