General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Right axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Default Front Right axle replacement

Anyone replace the right front axle on an "86/"88 accord A/T?

Did a test removal on junker. All bolts released O.K. and the shaft popped out all right except, the 17MM bolt broke off inside the wishbone support so am reluctant to try it on mine.

Found that by sliding off the end of the large bearing housing CV boot the axle will almost release. It would take a 1/16" removal of cast iron material on the curved inside of the support.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Old 10-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Front Right axle replacement

If the lower damper fork bolt wont come out I take the inner c/v apart to get it out. It's messy but it works.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:46 PM
VettePilot
Unregistered

Wish I'd have read this post earlier....

I'm trying to change the left axle on my 88 LX with 5 speed. I can't get the damper fork bolt out to save my life. I've broken a 17mm socket AND a 17mm box end wrench-I was able to get the nut off, but the bolt stubbornly remains. I've pretty well destroyed the bolt by attempting to pound it out, and I even ground the head off and tried drilling it out, only to destroy 3 drill bits.
Anyone else have this much trouble? Any suggestions?
I'm considering using a pneumatic cutoff wheel to cut the bolt on each side of the control arm, and pressing everything out with an arbor press once I get it all apart.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 10-15-2006, 04:18 AM

this is one of those jobs where it is very handy to have a compressor and an impact tool. those nuts are a PITA to get off with hand tools unless you have a cheater bar......

Old 10-15-2006, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: VettePilot

I'm considering using a pneumatic cutoff wheel to cut the bolt on each side of the control arm,
That should work. If not you can always pull out the torch and replace the bushing.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 PM

VettPilot

As I posted eariler - removal of the wheel side boot and removing a small amount of material on the inside of the curved part of the wishbone allows the CV housing to be slide through. It requires turning the steering wheel to the right to allow the axle to be removed. It would have worked on the test vehicle I tried but I did not have a dremel, (battery powered) and a reinforced cutting disc. It appears, the small amount of material removed would not compromise the strength of the wishbone. Should this be done - the new assembly boot would have to be slid off temporarily to allow the new housing to be installed through the wishbone. Of course a new boot retainer clamp, ($2) would need to be installed.

P.S. My 17MM wishbone bolt was removable, so I did not have to resort to any grinding or torch work.

Good Luck.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 AM

woooooooooo .. you are making this way way too hard............no need to grind anything down,, if the lower bolt 17 mm from the lower wishbone is frozen and cannot be removed , all you got to do it remove the inner cv boot clamp, slide the inner cv joint out of the shaft, and slide the shaft through the wishbone ,, no need to grind anything,,
it is very easy to do,,,,,,,i use to live in Wisconsin and we had quite a few frozen bolts in the wishbone so that is the way i did it,piece of cake ..

Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
VettePilot
Unregistered

Thanks for the info, I'll do the cv disassembly and fork grinding on the other side since I'm pretty sure that the other bolt is frozen to. I've got a new bushing, so I'll go ahead and replace everything on the side that I've chopped up.
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes tonight.....
At least I got to fly on Sunday!

Mark