General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV axle/strut question on a 96 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Default CV axle/strut question on a 96 Accord

Hoping the experts out there can help me. I haven't done any suspension work on a Honda before.

I need to replace the CV boots, so the axles have to come out. I'm don't know how the suspension is set up, but would it be easier to also take out the and replace the struts while I have the axles out or is this two completely separate projects?

Just to help clarify my question. I have to take the axles out to replace the CV boots. The CV bearing is in great shape. My question is, is it easier to also take out and replace the struts since I have to take the axles out anyway or would removing the struts and removing the axles be considered two completely separate projects?

Also, my 96 Accord only has 61k miles and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to change out the struts at this time. Do you know how many miles the original struts on a 5th generation Accord should last?

I really appreciate any advice you have.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

You don't have to remove the strut to remove the CV joint. You just have to remove the bottom bolt of the wishbone.

If the struts are working properly, then I would not worry about replacing them. They are pretty simple to replace as an entire unit. I replaced the struts on my 95 accord at 160K miles. Looking back, my replacement struts would have been OEM, but money was a factor back then for me.

You have low miles, but the age of your struts can be a factor. Regardless, I wouldn't replace them if they are still working properly.