General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cylinders 1&2 misfire on start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Default cylinders 1&2 misfire on start up

I have a 94 accord lx f22b2 5 speed when I start it up after about 10 min or stone cold cylinders 1&2 are running they have spark because I pulled plug wires while running , has new e3 plugs,autolite wires,& new distributer cap & rotor. After a few second of running it straigtens out and runs perfect till it sets 10 min or all night. Can anyone help me find the problem before I whind up replacing anymore than needs to be.thank you

Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Not familar w/ "e3" plugs, but some plugs (notably bosch) have had problems in Accords. If this problem cropped up after plug change, then a different set of plugs may cure the problem.

Are the plugs fouled, sooty, white, or what?

If plugs are nice & clean, the problem may be a leaking head gasket allowing a little coolant into the cylinders on shutdown. When you startup, you get rough running until coolant is cleared, usually just a few seconds or so. If you've had any overheating incidents, then head gasket is more likely. I had this occur on my 94EX w/o any overheating incidents (at least that my daughter told me about).

good luck

Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Default injectors

You could also have a couple of leaking fuel injectors. Try this: Engine off ,with a 17 mm socket loosen the fuel supply line going to injector rail. Now clamp off the supply line with a proper hose clamp/pincher. ( dont use vise grips. can damage rubber line.) start car and let it run out of fuel. wont take long. Let it sit for how ever long you experience the problem. Then re-connect the fuel line. dont forget or loose the two washers. Tighten to aprox 25 foot pounds. remove clamp. turn key to run or on for about 5 seconds. this will prime the injectors but not give them enough time to leak if thats the problem. Turn key off. Then start the engine. If it fires (it may stumble a couple of seconds) on all 4 cylinders right away. You have an injector or two leaking down. The other way to check is to put a fuel pressure gauge on it. start it up and record the pressure. Shut it off and in a few hours or how ever long it takes to cause problem look at the fuel pressure . It should still be close to the same as when you shut it off. If it looses significant pressure you have a probable leaking injector or two. IF so I dont suggest just replacing one or two. If you can afford them.replace all four. I hope Ive helped. I only addressed one possibility. Good luck. AN even easyer way is to remove fuel pump relay. run it out of gas. let it sit. re-install relay and see how it starts now. I should have suggested this first. sorry.

Last edited by Old Honda Dude; 04-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 AM

thank you texas honda I did a compression test and when I took out the plugs 1&2 were clean and had a little orange rust built up and compression was down 30 psi in 1&2 so I guess I get to tear into my first honda. (allway had chevys till now gas cost to much)

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Last thing I did to confirm leaking head gasket was to pull plugs and turn engine over. A blast of water out the spark plug hole confirmed.

good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM

So much for my fuel injectors