General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfire all cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Default Random Misfire all cylinders

Bought this car used from a dealership in Nov 2012 and within a month the check engine light would come on and flash and run rough below 1000 rpm. As soon as you bring to back above 1000 rpm the light goes out and runs smooth.Codes came back random misfire in all cylinders. Had it back to the dealers repair shop almost 15 times since and they have sent it to 3 different Honda Dealerships multiple times and even was getting suggestions from big time tec from Honda Corp. Here is a list of what has been done so far. Replaced all plugs, injectors, coil packs, timing belt, alternator sepintine belt, crank sensor, EGR. Also reset valve timing and clearance. Compassion check. To this day this car from hell still has the problem. Now I'm under the gun because it failed NJ state inception for the codes. I now have until Dec 31st then I can't drive it anymore unless I get it fixed and passed. IM at my whits end and so is the service center. O and did I mention Im making monthly payments on this thing.

2007 Honda Accord EX 6Cyl 3.0 MFI VTEC 5 speed manual

Last edited by ehankin; 12-09-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 PM

Wow. At this point the dealer should be doing everything they can to solve the problem. I would guess that NJ has a lemon law. Unfortunately this would be an extremely difficult thing to diagnose over the computer, with that said I would contact the dealer you have been working with and find t if they have swapped a known good ECM into your car. They should be doing this at no cost to you and they can probably find a car on the lot with a ECM to swap with. I am a little amazed that the HDS tool has not narrowed down the problem. It sounds like they are just throwing parts around.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Any DTC's besides multiple misfires?

Misses are likely result of improper fuel mixture (you've replaced all ignition COP's). Since All cylinders are affected, the flaw must be something in intake system common to both banks.

Suggest to check LTFT at idle and again at 2000 rpm may point to a lean condition (high + LTFT) at idle causing the misfire which improves (lower LTFT) at higher rpm. Many obd2 scanners will provide this info. Possible causes of lean condition are leaks in intake system and vacuum line defects.

good luck

Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Default No other codes

There are no other codes than the misfire for each cylinder and the all cylinder random misfire code. The replaced the crank sensor this past Tuesday. When my wife went to pick it up as soon as she started it the light came on. NJ has a used car lemon law I'm thinking about going to the dealership and asking to talk to management to see what there willing to do and brining up the lemon law to see what happens. The used car Lemon Law goes after the dealership.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by ehankin
NJ has a used car lemon law I'm thinking about going to the dealership and asking to talk to management to see what they're willing to do and bringing up the lemon law to see what happens.
That's a winning approach in my book. Management is likely oriented towards a sales perspective (publicly happy customers) vs. technical details.

Thought: (instead of lemon law being bottom line) maybe the 1st bottom line to management could be something like: "You've tried your best. I mean ... it's not your fault; your service dept. has tried hard. I know my own win situation out of this would be able to write positive letters-to-editor to our two most local newspapers saying how supportive your dealership has been in all this. At the end, I want both of us to win from this bad situation."

Luck.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Default Going to the dealership

I am going to do a few tests of my own based on the post about the LTFT. I think I will go to the dealership and see what there willing to do and yea I agree using the lemon law as my last resort. Ill let yas know what happens.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Default Wet to the Dealership

I went and spoke to the manger of the dealership. Surprisingly he was aware of our situation. He talked about a posiblity of vehicle replacement. He has to wait till Monday and talk to the higher ups and come to a decision on what to do. so wish me luck.