General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash lights actup issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Default Dash lights actup issue

Hi, A friend of mine who owns a 2001 (I think) honda accord V6 auto model came out to watch the football games last night. Right before he got to my house his dash warning lights (all of them from what he could see) went on. The only thing we could tell that was wrong was his altenator wasn't putting out a charge to the battery. His battery was low and I live a bit from his house so I took him up to get a new battery so he at least might stand a chance of making it home without charging. We swapped the battery and just a little bit after he left my place the lights went out and seemed to work all the way home. I was nice enough to follow him most of the way just to make sure he got there.
But anyway, anyone see anything like this before? I'm wondering if there is a main connector that may be loose that could cause this type of problem. He is going to have the timing belt replaced and so is thinking of having a shop look into it but I'd like to save him some money if possible with a fix as he has a little mistrust in driving the car anywhere far now which is understandable. Thannks for any insight on this.
Brandon..

Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Default RE: Dash lights actup issue

Stupid me, I guess I should have done a search before this post. I did it after and found sim. troubles pointing to the altenator. So I pretty much found out what I was after here. Sorry about this.
I still wonder about the connection, if there is one that could cause a problem like this as his problem came and went away a few min. driving after putting in the new battery. Doesn't these car's have something simple like a charging warning light instead of lighting up the whole dash with a panic type of "hey, your car has something wrong with it". I sure wouldn't like that type of system but it is an attention grabber to say the least.
Brandon

Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Dash lights actup issue

yea there is a main wire that goes from the alt to the battery if that connection should be (disconnected) for any reason, the battery current will go down and the car will start to do weird things, especially the dash, the guages may go out, lights may come on. also, if the alt is making power then there is not dummy light for that. if a cell goes out in your battery, it doesnt matte how many amps the alt produces that car is gonna die. always make sure your battery is full, it is the number one cause of battery failure. im bad with it to so i really have no room to talk, but i would almost bet that if i kept the level full my battery would last for almost forever.

lightshow