General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
custy
Unregistered
Default Dealer Oil Changes

Hey Guys

That maintainence minder light came on and told me to get an oil change. Is their any benefit of going to a Honda dealer for an oil change? Will it void my warranty for going to a regular garage for an oil change?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Default RE: Dealer Oil Changes

I do not think it will void the Warranty, but then again, I have never bought a brand new car haha.I would call the dealership you bought the car fromand ask them. Ask them how much they charge for the oil change as well. Ask them what kind of oil they use so if you decise to DIY, you can know what kind of oil your car is used to so you can buy it in the future. Also as them about filters. You may wish to pick up a few from the dealer if you want to DIY. Personally, I use Purolator filters, but I have heard Honda recommends the Filtech filters you can get a the dealership.
If you do decide to DIY, don't forget to pick up some of the crush washers they put on the drain plug every time they change the oil. If you don't put on the crush washer, your oil pan will likely leak from the drain plug (slow, but annoying leak.) I forgot to put one on my 95 before and I was getting annoying oil drips on my garage floor.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Dealer Oil Changes

If there isn't synthetic oil in the engine now, I'd probably switch over to that. As for filters Honda, Purolator, Mobil1, Filtech, I've heard the Wal-Mart ones are really good. FRAM is not very good, but by far the most popular. handa-accessories.com sells 6 packs of Honda filters pretty cheap, as does Amazon.

Jon, I've never replaced the crush washer, ever. No leaks, so I dunno, maybe mine is magical?