General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about oil changes on Honda Accord 06

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:41 PM
cindjo717
Unregistered
Default Question about oil changes on Honda Accord 06

I went for an oil change a while back at my usual place after I purchased my car. They charged me more than they had previously for my Nissan , the car I had prior. So I asked about it , I was told that my Warranty would be invalid if I did not use a specific oil for the engine , which is more expensive. I thought this sounded weird.. but then I went to another garage and the owner was like , oh I work on a lot of Hondas and I can do ur oil change for ya ,and then something about this certain oil and blah blah blah.. does anyone know anything about this?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Question about oil changes on Honda Accord 06

ORIGINAL: cindjo717

, I was told that my Warranty would be invalid if I did not use a specific oil for the engine , which is more expensive.
that has to be the biggest pot of bull i have ever heard..
you can use ANY MAJOR brands of oil out there.. Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol etc etc ,,,,5w-30, 10w-30 5w-20,,, as long as you do not use 80-90 w gear oil .
they just try to make more money off of you selling you the more expensive stuff

As a matter of facts what the dealer use here is Mobil oil , Not Mobil 1 , just regular Mobil oil

Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 AM

Agreed, that is a crock. 5W20 is called for and it's no more expensive than any other weight.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 PM
cindjo717
Unregistered

ITS AN 06 ACCORD.. i just thought it so strange . these were both not honda dealers.. two seperate places. I was weary after the first guy overcharged me , never went back there. the second guy just brought it up on his own.. I go to honda for my oil changes and maintainence.they are pretty reasonable at $25 and I get a coupon once in a while . they even gave me $5 off for what they thought was a long wait and I hadn't even complained . they even put in a plug in my tire for nothing.. I am satisfied wth them.. I must look really naive in my old age 45 cause when I bought my previous car brand new no one tryed to get over on me like that. []

Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Any brand will work, as long as it's 5W20. If they wanted to be real jerks about it, they could technically deny your claim for improper lubricant use. No reputable dealer would do this, since they need the warranty money from an engine job, and if they asked you to pay for it, you'd just go to another Honda shop. 5W20 may be slightly more expensive AT A DEALER since most dealers (other than Honda and Ford) don't keep it as bulk oil and have to obtain it from NAPA, etc. which charges a slight markup. Off the shelf, it's not much more expensive, a little bit due to the extra detergents.

The explanation I was given is that 5W20 is far more resistant to sludging; so far i haven't seen any proof of this, but Ford and Honda both require 5W20 oil.