General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie Q's: Air cleaner, oil changes, engine type

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Default Newbie Q's: Air cleaner, oil changes, engine type

Hello, first time poster here. 2003 Accord Ex 4-Cy. I have searched and read all the "Read First" sections and have a few basic questions that perplex me.

1. What engine do I have?? Is there a simple place I can find this in the car?I have the original sticker and it states it is a 2.4L engine, but I saw a post somewhere that lists "all" Honda engines and the 2.4L wasn't listed.

2. The owner manual says (Normal Conditions) replace the oil every 10K miles or 12 months (which ever comes first). But the service stations push 3K or 3 months. Is it safe to follow the manual?

3. The manual also says replace the oil filter every 20K or 24 months. It's fairly standard to replace this every oil change. Again, follow the manual or play it safe?

4. The air cleaner (filter) is supposed to be changed every 30K. I'm at 33K since my last change. During an oil change I asked the tech to check it. He said its pretty clean, and doesn't need to be changed. Should I be changing these anyhow or only if they are dirty?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Default RE: Newbie Q's: Air cleaner, oil changes, engine type

1. 2.4L I4 160 HP 161lb/ft Torque ( http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...a-accord-3.htm )

2. They say that newer cars can make it longer without oil changes, I'm old school I don't care who says what I change it at 3k. The only way to know for certain is to run the car for like 4k miles, change the oil and send a sample in to an oil analisys place. Then if it checks out run to 5k and send it in. Everyone's driving conditions are different so it's not the same for everyone. But 3k is safe.

3. I've never done an oil change without replacing the filter, it's a $5.00 part, replace it every time would be my suggestion. The only way to know for certain is the same as with question #2

4. Air cleaner, if it's not broke don't fix it. If it's clean leave it be. After 60k miles I'd change it even if it wasn't dirty just because it is paper and breaks down a bit....

Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Don't forget trans fluid or lube (which trans?), cabin air filter, and hydraulic system flush. Were it mine I would replace the engine air filter now and keep track of everything in a logbook kept in the car. Out of sight is out of mind and the next time you think to check it may be filthy.

How many miles are on it?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the replies.
My Honda has 98,000 miles, all highway. I bought it new, it was an end of the season dealer showroom car (and got a great deal). But its not my squeaky clean, brand-new car anymore and I've started paying more attention to details.
I just started an Excel spreadsheet logging all service history (going back through all my old receipts) and I love it. I can see everything in one place. Its amazing what you forget was done on the car just 12 months ago.
I've had the trans fluid changed (AT) and had a "Tough-gaurd extreme cleaning" oil change a short while back (I missed an oil change - don't ask how long, its embarassing - and was guilted into doing it, $99).
Never did the cabin filter, but I did take it out once and it was filthy. I banged the heck out of it and replaced it.

Which brings another question to mind: can these filters be "blown out" (or banged out) to extend their life?
Also, I've never replaced my brake fluid and see that this should be done every 3 years (I assume that's what RTexasF meant by "hydraulic system flush"?). How difficult is this to do at home? Or should I just let a service station take care of it? The repair manual says to use a hand-pump to extract; don't have one and sounds messy. If I did do it, what is the proper disposal of the old fluid?

<Just full of questions>

Old 04-13-2008, 01:00 PM

I didn't notice if you had the p/s fluid done yet? Might want to get brake and power steering fluid done. I believe it's about 50.00 at the dealer I went to.