General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Deceleration when gas pedal released?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Default Deceleration when gas pedal released?

Hi everyone!

I just get my new Honda Accord Coupe, with 5-speed automatic transmission.

Every time I fully release the gal pedal, I feel kind of sudden deceleration. I used to drive a Chevy and a few other rental cars, I don't remember feeling such obvious deceleration when releasing the gas pedal.

Is it because this is a new car? Will it disappear after break-in? Or there is something wrong?

Last edited by echostate; 04-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM

Completely normal.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

'Tis dreaded "hesitation/no codes thrown issue" with those and prior year Accords ...
I've experience here, so I'll swap you cars for as long as it takes to work itself out.
I'll also give you map of route highlights for your return trip from where-ever.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh
'Tis dreaded "hesitation/no codes thrown issue" with those and prior year Accords ...
I've experience here, so I'll swap you cars for as long as it takes to work itself out.
I'll also give you map of route highlights for your return trip from where-ever.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying there is something wrong with this new accord?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh

HA HA ...
I think he is looking for the feature that some Toyotas have where when the gas pedal is released the car continues to accelerate.

Hondas don't have that feature.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

"Deceleration when gas pedal released?". I had to check it wasn't April 1st. Doesn't every car on the road decelerate when the gas pedal is released?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Troll. OP is troll.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect it's some clever programming for the automatic transmission. Not really a troll, I've heard other people complain about this "feature".

If you're driving in a "spirited" manner, the transmission will hold a lower gear because it expects that you want engine-braking. If you were driving very sedately it would probably shift up when you lift the gas pedal (and behave as you'd expect).

Problem is the transmission can't actually read your mind so it doesn't know what you want. That's why I don't like automatic transmissions.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 PM

I don't know what year car the OP has but "5 speed auto" must be a later model. My '96 has Honda's "grade control logic" or some such and I noticed when I'm descending 6 or 7% grades it will sometimes shift from 4th to 3rd if I tap the brakes. It's pretty strange, automatic downshifting. But it happens only during a very steep downhill grade so it doesn't really bother me.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM

For obvious reasons if you dont have your car in overdrive (D4) then it will not shift in such low rpms and if you get it above a certain rpm range (say 5000) then you will start to feel a pull when you let off the gas (its called engine breaking, using your engines compression to slow you down). Like I said, completely normal. Although it is normal to not be used to a new cars' driving style, I would think that letting off the gas pedal means decelleration? Common sense? Maybe just me... Lol :P