General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Exhaust humming on deceleration? RPM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Default Exhaust humming on deceleration? RPM issue?

1996 Accord EX 4-door
2.1 Automatic Vtec

I love this little ride to death so I try to stay on top of any little noise/sound that bothers me. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a "vibration" or "humming" coming from driver side axle or exhaust area. WHEN I'M CRUISING ABOVE 60-ish MPH and just let go of the gas pedal; I get a humming noise coming from what I WOULD guess to be exhaust. It starts fairly loud and tapers off(with the RPM) as deceleration continues. If I apply brakes, or gas, it seems to go away. Could it be possibly tranny/RPM touble?

And YES: my tires are balanced, aligned, and bearings are good. Checked multiple times and there are NO loose items.

I'm FAIRLY mechanically inclined so I'm not completely car-illiterate haha, just looking for a starting point.

thanks guys

Last edited by Robbierobb; 11-09-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

A noise on the internet is always fun to figure out

At lower speeds (~40 mph) do you get the same thing or is it only at the higher speed?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Yea sorry for taking so long. I work crazy hours and went out of town. But on my going out of town I got to do a little more diagnosing. I'm beginning to suspect something wrong with it maybe downshifting. When I go above 65-ish and release the pedal, I noticed that my RPM's dont drop or "seat" and just drag down. They are at 3000-ish cruising at 70mph+. When the gas is released they dont drop but the humming starts the RPM slowly drag down to where they should be. Another thing my buddy got me to do was at 65+, I got the humming to start and quickly popped the car into neutral....the humming stopped immediately and the rpm dropped normally...

once again sorry for the late response to my own damn thread! hahaha

Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Any exhaust work done recently....replace a pipe here or there?

If not, you might want to check fo any leaks in the exhaust system....several ways of doing this. Get the car in the air when cold......start it up and run you hand along the system and feel for leaks. Seafoam into the engine thru a vac line will cause smoke out of the exhaust system.......does the smoke come out of the tail pipe or some place along the system.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 AM

No exhaust work. Actually man my new suspicion is gona target the IAC, and TPS. Its starting to feel like the throttle is sticking. Judging by the manor in which the RPM stick. Read a few threads about the IAC getting gunked up with carbon