General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dies at stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Exclamation Dies at stops

Its an 1988 honda accord L4 2.0L Manual, Carborated. Whenever I'm at a stop sign or a light she dies if I dont keep reving the engine. I've noticed it happens when the RPM's are low. It kinda feels like she just kinda sputters and dies. It does the same thing when I park.in the driveway, it'll run really hard. Shaking and vibrating the car, but it I rev the gas it stops and then when the RPM's go back down it does it again. I recently had my exaust pipe break and my muffler totally fell off but that would'nt cause this would it?
I'd really aprciate any help I dont feel comfortable driving this car right now. Its my first car too

Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have never tried to troubleshoot a carb on a vehicle, so I can only give some basic advice.

I would suggest carefully inspecting each vacuum hose to ensure there are no leaks.

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to the online manuals thread that has a hondatech link to an 86 shop manual. It should have some troubleshooting advice.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Check what PA suggested but I only want to add a small bit. Sounds like you might have just got the car - do you know if the tune up items (plugs, cap, rotor) are up to date?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you guys. We've had the car for quite a few years but I just got it myself. Graduation Gift. We just got the new muffler and exaust pipe put on and she's running a lot smoother but when I drove to my friends house today she died going down a small hill because I wasn't giving her any gas.
My friend had a similar problem on her chevy stepside truck and her grandpa her restores older vehicles is gonna look at the carborator for me because I have no idea what I'm doing. Hopefully that helps

Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Check what PA suggested but I only want to add a small bit. Sounds like you might have just got the car - do you know if the tune up items (plugs, cap, rotor) are up to date?
I have no idea. I know I just got new brakes tires an oil change and a whole new exaust pipe and muffler. How often do they need replacing? We've had the car about seven years.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

There should be a sticker under the hood in the door jamb with the proper spark plugs. Get the NGK plugs that are recommended for your car.

I believe it is every 24K miles or two years. I usually go by mileage. Take a look in the owner's manual for that information.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:09 AM

Hey there! I've had the same problem with a previous car... it turned out to be the fuel pump! If you haven't checked for vacuum leaks, do so. Clean the IAC valve, clean the EGR valve. I suspect it might be the FUEL PUMP, but before checking and replacing it if it is faulty, how long has it been since you replaced the FUEL FILTER? I would do that before replacing the FUEL PUMP. Hope this is of any help!