General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 Accord DX starts, runs, then dies at stops

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Post '89 Accord DX starts, runs, then dies at stops

I have an '89 Accord DX that was running fine up until about a week ago. It will start fine in the morning, but after running for about 5 minutes it will die when coming to a stop. Then it is very difficult to get it back started. Thought it might be a fuel filter problem, but there is an electrical component to the problem as well because when it dies, I get it to the side of the road and put on the hazards. The radio will be working fine as I'm cranking, but the hazards won't come on for a few minutes. When they finally do, I know the car will probably start (with difficulty) after giving it plenty of gas. But then the whole process will start over within about 2-3 minutes. Do not want to spend much $ on tracking down the problem, especially after reading some similar posts on other forums. One guy was almost sure it was a small tube in the gas tank that dries out if the tank is less than half full. I've filled the tank and still having the same problems. Can anyone help? Ignition switch?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while the engine is running?

Is this accord fuel injected or does it have a carburetor?

Do you have access to a volt meter or a timing light?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

PA-DX or LX in this gen are carb'd.

Test this ign switch as suggested. Strange thing is the hazard lights? Even with car off and key out they should always work...that is why they are there. So be sure all battery connections are clean and tight. Have the charging system tested at your local parts store.

From there, again as asked, do you have a volt meter? I will be more than happy to help with the testing, there is a manual you can download-see the DIY section.

EDIT: There is a sight glass on the left/drivers side of the carb. You can check that to see if there is fuel in the bowl. Doest mean the pump is bad just helps narrow down fuel vs spark. Pump not running can be relay, coil or a few other things.

Last edited by poorman212; 03-01-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM

I could not get the car to stall out by shaking the key. I will be trying the idle adjust screw. I definitely am far from being a mechanic, and do not have, or the know how to use a voltmeter. Will keep you informed.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

I strongly suggest not touching the idle screw...if you do, PLEASE count and keep up with how many turns you make in either direction. I'm 99% sure that is not your issue. If you can find and get to the idle screw, you have the skills to operate a volt meter.

A few more questions base upon my knowledge of 3rd gen carb'd Accords.

When it re-starts-is there black smoke from the tail pipe? Do you have a strong smell of gas when the car dies? In the driveway, remove the top of the air cleaner, start the car, use a flashlight and look down the throat of the carb thru the screen...can or do you see drops of gas after about 5 mins? I asked once about the fuel level in the carb-sight glass on the left/drivers side,,,what is/was that when this happened.

EDIT: Please let us know the answer to these questions?
EDIT2: Have you checked for codes from the ECU? Under the drivers seat, view from the rear, open the "plastic cover", turn the key to "on" or pos II-count the flashes from the led light.

Last edited by poorman212; 03-07-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling and adding