General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulties in starting up in accord 1998

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Default Difficulties in starting up in accord 1998

Hello to you all in HAF, my honda accord at times find it difficult to start up after travelling for long under hot temperatures(afternoon) but morning trips no problem at all. i am thinking maybe the battery is going down. i have been using the battery for more than 3 years now. Are there any other problems with the accord that will be responsible for the hard start up, is the ignition system going bad? what am i to look for?. Honda accord 1998, auto transmission, 4 cylinder. The car is very good except for the AC compressor that is bad presently. Hope to hear from you people soon. THANKS

Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Does the starter spin the engine but the engine has difficulty starting & running?

A weak battery would cause the starter to spin the engine very slowly or not at all. Is that what is happening?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

What about a fuel injector leaking after you turn off the engine? Within a certain period of time after shut-down, there would be a puddle of fuel in the intake manifold & it would start like a flooded engine. After more time, it would evaporate & the engine would start more normally. You might try a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Does the starter spin the engine but the engine has difficulty starting & running?

A weak battery would cause the starter to spin the engine very slowly or not at all. Is that what is happening?
the starter does not spin the engine. I have notice it too

Old 02-12-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What about a fuel injector leaking after you turn off the engine? Within a certain period of time after shut-down, there would be a puddle of fuel in the intake manifold & it would start like a flooded engine. After more time, it would evaporate & the engine would start more normally. You might try a bottle of fuel-injector cleaner in the fuel tank.
how will I know if the fuel injector is leaking

Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ignore the injector comment, because it sounds like a starter/wiring/signal problem and a leaking injector would not cause this problem.

Just to be sure we are describing the problem properly... On a properly starting car, when I turn the key to the start position, the starter spins the engine. When the engine fires up (is running on its own), I release the key. So, is your starter not spinning the engine when you have a problem, or is the engine not firing up?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, if the starter doesn't even spin the engine, then ignore that stuff about the injector. Its important to be very specific with the terminology so we don't go off in the wrong direction.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Ignore the injector comment, because it sounds like a starter/wiring/signal problem and a leaking injector would not cause this problem.

Just to be sure we are describing the problem properly... On a properly starting car, when I turn the key to the start position, the starter spins the engine. When the engine fires up (is running on its own), I release the key. So, is your starter not spinning the engine when you have a problem, or is the engine not firing up?
I just discover now that the starter does not spin the engine after travelling with the car for long distance under hot conditions let say if you want to start it if you come to a stop in hot temperatures. But traveling with it in the morning when the temperature is cold this problems of stop and start does not occur, the engine spins immediately when you start the car. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks

Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

You need to diagnose when the car will not start.

There is a small blk/wht wire going to the starter. Check for 12V when on that wire when you turn the key to the start position. You may need an assistant to test.