General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulties in turning the steering at bends in accord 1998

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:11 AM
Default Difficulties in turning the steering at bends in accord 1998

Good day to you all in HAF, presently i am experience difficulties in turning the steering of my car at bends. Although for long now the steering rack has been leaking with fluids. My question is, is it the leaking rack or the power steering pump that is making it difficult to turn the steering and what are the consequences if i don't get it fix early. Honda Accord 1998, 4 cylinder, Lx, auto transmission, mileage 221,000. The car was bought in 2012 and i am still using it presently. When will it be appropriate for me to change the timing belt or are there signs that indicates when to change it. please i will need your response on these issues. THANKS

Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

How is the fluid level in the steering fluid reservoir? Where is it leaking from exactly?

Timing belt should be changed every 100k miles or 7 years (whichever comes first).

Old 06-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
How is the fluid level in the steering fluid reservoir? Where is it leaking from exactly?

Timing belt should be changed every 100k miles or 7 years (whichever comes first).
Thanks to you JimBlake for replying, my mechanic told me that the leaks is coming from the steering rack that i have to change it completely, it cannot be repaired. The steering fluid reservoir use to go down between the upper and the lower mark after 4 to 6 weeks. I use to top it with fluid to get it to the upper mark to avoid harming the steering pump. I bought the car( honda accord) in 2012 with milleage 201,000. But now the milleage is 229,000. Is the timing belt due for change? Is just 4 years now i have been using the car. I love the car because of its balance on the highway when driving. THANKS

Old 06-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

It's possible to dismantle the rack & rebuild it, but usually easier to just buy another (rebuilt) rack.

If you don't actually know when the timing belt was last changed, you should probably change it.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:45 AM

Thanks for this information, i will soon see my mechanic on the issue of rebuilt of the steering rack, although he told me the best thing to do is to get a replacement. Sir i also notice that my cruise control is not working, when i pressed on the button on the cruise control located at the control panel then set it at my desire speed the Led light does not comes up and speed is not engaged. what do you suggest might be the probable cause? Is it a fuse that has gone bad or something else has gone bad. Please i will need your response. THANKS

Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Your mechanic may or may not be able to obtain all the internal parts he needs to rebuild the rack. Or he may or may not have the tools & fixtures he needs?? Choosing between rebuilding it yourself vs. getting a rebuilt rack usually comes down to local economics and how long you're willing to go without your car.

---------

The VSS is a common reason for cruise control to fail. If your speedometer works OK, then the speed sensor is OK.

Check fuses for the cruise control, but after that there are any number of possible things like broken or disconnected wiring.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 PM

thanks for replying, the vehicle speedometer is working fine. I will check for bad fuse and disconnected wires OK