General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Distributor R & R questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Default Distributor R & R questions

More confusion. This time, it has to do with the distributor after reading the factory manual. For the distributor removal, the factory manual basically says to remove the distributor. For installation, it says to put the engine with the #1 cylinder at TDC, but then there's a note that says the distributor is indexed so that it can't be installed so that it is not timed correctly. So, the question is this: If the distributor is indexed to prevent incorrect timing, why do I have to put the #1 cylinder at TDC? Is there something that's not explained in the manual that I'm missing?

I have searched this topic and I've read that incorrect timing can happen if you take the distributor apart and remove the cam/lobe/thingamabob off the shaft and install it 180 degrees off, but I have no plans to disassemble the distributor - just remove from my F22A, replace the o-ring and install in my new(er) F23A.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Just take the distributor cap off with all of the spark plug wires still attached.

Write down which way the rotor is pointing.

On the top of the distributor, there is a slot for the bolt hole. The distributor can rotate to do some fine tuning of the timing. Mark a line from the top of the distributor to the cylinder head, so you know the exact position to reinstall the distributor.

When you replace the o-ring, use a bit of oil to prevent tearing the new o-ring when reinstalling.

Just make sure the distributor rotor is pointing in the same direction when you go to reinstall the distributor.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

If you have any reason to rotate the engine while the distributor is off, that's nothing to worry about.

The end of the camshaft has a slot, which is a little off-center. The distributor has a blade that fits into that slot, it's off-center too. So look and pay attention so you get the off-center blade the right way around. It's possible to get it in backwards, but you have to push or hammer it in. Just be aware of the off-center blade and then it's easy to get it right.