General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Default DIY Clutch Replacement

Hello fellow Accord drivers,

I have a 2001 LX 4-door, manual transmission. I have always been gentle on the clutch, having burned out the clutch on a previous car and having spent $600 to get it repaired. However, I noticed recently that the clutch is starting to slip. It only happens when the RPM goes above 4k and I am trying to accelerate, usually in gears 3 or 4. It seems to be an obvious clutch wear problem, so a replacement will likely be in order (I'll confirm with a local mechanic).

Is this a job that a "weekend warrior" mechanic like myself could do? I do not have a lift, but I do have ramps. Will I need to drop the transmission to do it? Will I need to resurface the flywheel as well?

Any advice on approaching this repair would be very welcomed. Thank you!

Old 07-25-2015, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

The trans will have to come out of the car to change the clutch out.

IMHO, I'm getting that far into a clutch job without resurfacing the flywheel, you can look around but a new one can be bought for around $50 - that would save the time to remove the old one, take it to a shop and have it turned, then re-install.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 PM

Yeah, what he said. Just get a new one. There are complete kits for sale out there, I'd just order the whole kit. Grinding a flywheel is kinda not really ideal on a Honda. I've seen some done that created too much clearance for the clutch disc due to the way the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. IOW, when the clutch was reassembled, the pressure plate couldn't put sufficient pressure on the disc and the clutch slipped. You don't wanna have to pull the tranny twice. BTW, you'll need to support the engine whiel the tranny is out or you'll damage the engine mount rubbers. Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward job if you've ever done a clutch before.....sean